Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

3 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Finished up with 3/4" here.  Is there somewhere else this little storm is being discussed?  

kind of a carbon copy of the last one earlier in the month - I am leaning for the weekend to be somewhat of a carbon copy at least around the immediate metro area of the November storm - only difference is the arctic outbreak immediately following this weekends storm.

• Like 1

Just now, bluewave said:

Do your best to clean up whatever mixed precipitation types your location has on the ground Sunday. Anything left on the ground that is in liquid form will freeze up solid. Single digits Monday near the coast with below 0 interior.

873E8F1E-7EAD-4BE0-A31A-D84A7D9AA737.thumb.gif.b6788be203f9c34a384aa85e112a065f.gif

Good reminder. Get gas today, too, in case there's a lot of freezing rain and power goes out. Pumps won't work sans electricity.

I am speaking as an emergency manager right now. Anyone who is in the path of this ice storm, you must prepare. There is the possibility of over 1" of ice somewhere and any of you in the potential path of this must be ready.

To do so I suggest 

Fill up you gas tanks.

Be prepared to be without heat, hot water and electricity for up to two weeks

Fill up on bottles water and keep it some place interior and insulated so it does not freeze.

If you lose heat.. Keep the water running to prevent frozen pipes (at least during the initial after freeze)

If the house becomes too cold, use a vehicle for heat. Run it for ten to fifteen min and warm up. Then shut off for thirty min. Continue this cycle as necessary. Ensure you are not enclosed in your garage (Carbon Monoxide kills).

Be prepared to not be able to travel for several days.

Ensure you have an adequate supply of medication.

Keep your cellular phone charged and use it sparingly when there is no electricity. You can use your vehicle to charge your phone.

Have warm clothes handy.

This is a potentially disastrous situation. Please remain vigilant, you and you alone are responsible for your safety. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Good Friday morning mets, weather enthusiasts et al, 

Several images, all produced by the NWS ~4-5A today.  Some are experimental.  

1) prob for 12+ ...probability legend coded...orange 80% prob 12+. WPC

2) prob for >.10 glaze. Probability legend coded. Only 40-50%. Probably in part due to excessive runoff of heavy zr, when/if it occurs, and also it could be sleet. It's a statistical probability.  WPC

3) collaborated snowfall forecast of multiple WFO's. NWS

4) Experimental IMPACT graphics, based on WFO collaboration of snow and ice.  NWS

The following calendar day cold -Monday 1/19/19 - MLK Bday - imo, is going to be our coldest since 1/17/09. I think that adds to the overall impact but is not accounted for in these graphics.

Later,

Walt

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 6.08.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 6.09.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 6.13.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.06.13 AM.png

Walt - great stuff, as always, thanks!  Have to ask, though - where did you get that awesome snowfall map showing a lot more than just the PHI CWA?  I don't see it on the NWS page or the NWS FB page. I communicate a lot of winter weather info to lots of people on FB another non-weather message board (on RU sports oddly enough) and by email to several hundred people at work and friends/family, so I almost always include the snowfall maps from PHI and OKX, but this one is good enough to use by itself. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Walt - great stuff, as always, thanks!  Have to ask, though - where did you get that awesome snowfall map showing a lot more than just the PHI CWA?  I don't see it on the NWS page or the NWS FB page. I communicate a lot of winter weather info to lots of people on FB another non-weather message board (on RU sports oddly enough) and by email to several hundred people at work and friends/family, so I almost always include the snowfall maps from PHI and OKX, but this one is good enough to use by itself. 

Upton - http://www.weather.gov/erh/gis_wfo?id=OKX

Mt Holly - http://www.weather.gov/erh/gis_wfo?id=PHI

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Do your best to clean up whatever mixed precipitation types your location has on the ground Sunday. Anything left on the ground will freeze up solid like cement. Single digits Monday near the coast with below 0 interior.

Things will probably dry up before the temperatures tank unless you're well north & west.

15 minutes ago, North and West said:

Good reminder. Get gas today, too, in case there's a lot of freezing rain and power goes out. Pumps won't work sans electricity.

Most gas stations have generators after Sandy down here. Regardless, filling up is smart ahead of any storm. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NycStormChaser said:

Thanks, although those maps are housed on the Eastern Region website.  Can't imagine why they wouldn't also be on or linked from each office's winter weather page, which is where most people go to find such information.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

Most gas stations have generators after Sandy down here. Regardless, filling up is smart ahead of any storm. 

Right, and they're usually packed with desperate people after a storm, and the cold and icy conditions may hinder replenishment tankers in case they run out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

I think this storm is a nightmare to forecast especially around NYC and the immediate suburbs - a shift of a few miles in track or temps at various levels can be the difference between various precip types . Anyone who thinks they have this forecast fiqured out should be careful. Models are struggling with this set up.

Mt Holly agrees in their afd

1 minute ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Ski I could be mistaken but is the GFS to be trusted with TEMPS as I have heard people say and post "its bad with thermals " ?

Gfs has been too warm with winter storms for over a year now. But if the low goes to the north of us then yes it would  get rather warm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sn0waddict said:

CMC now cuts over CT as well lol no big deal for us really seeing as we still get front end snow and just avoid the crippling ice, but our friends up north may not appreciate it.

starting to look like we'll dry out too after the storm passes-flash freeze potential is drying up (pun intended)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Gfs showing an all rain event for most of the area. Gets the city into the upper 40s now on Sunday.

gfs_T2m_neus_9.png

The freezing line so far northwest ? 50's up to the city ? Good Luck BUT I have seen this happen before just before a flash freeze back in 94 -caused a lot of problems