Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

26 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Well it appears to me that most of the overnight guidance went colder or at least South but the Euro went way North and warm-----as of this morning what other Models are in the the Euros camp so to speak ?

From my vantage point none (EC seems warmest)... but needs to be considered.  Front end thump should formidable along or just N of I80....  lots and lots of sleet possible I84-I80...  just not clear cut except that it's big qpf in 12-18 hrs... best banding could be between I84-I90. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Not good but it's in the long range for the HRRR. Better to use this tomorrow.

I think this storm is a nightmare to forecast especially around NYC and the immediate suburbs - a shift of a few miles in track or temps at various levels can be the difference between various precip types . Anyone who thinks they have this forecast fiqured out should be careful. Models are struggling with this set up.

• Like 1

Just now, friedmators said:

Looks like there is some room to wet bulb a little.  Might allow some accums on the front end for some posters.

Despite the fact the system is approaching from the WSW and we do best here on front end snows on SWFEs that approach more from the south like November did there are some signs we might start snowing earlier than 23-00z...maybe as early as 19-20Z...subtle shortwave in the flow at 500 as well as possible frontogenesis area lifting through...there are subtle hints at this on the NAM the last couple of runs though it does not generate a ton of precip

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

I think this storm is a nightmare to forecast especially around NYC and the immediate suburbs - a shift of a few miles in track or temps at various levels can be the difference between various precip types . Anyone who thinks they have this forecast fiqured out should be careful. Models are struggling with this set up.

Yea agree - though the weenie in me was always hoping for a dramatic SE correction but prob not in the cards. What is certainly not set in stone is how much of a front end thump we get. 

Just now, NEG NAO said:

looks like you are going with the Euro over the NAM  - Philly 2-4 and Northeast Bergen County NJ the same ?

Remember the range is 2-4". NW Philly and NW Burbs are probably closer to the lower range and Bergen is probably closer to the higher range.

Still some time to tweak things later though.

12Z NAM winds still concerning and this is just for LGA.  Winds 080 18-00Z (and they are too light at that range and ahead of the system to really warm the layer much with snow falling for part of that time) then back to 050-060...its better than showing 030-040 but sometimes at this range that shift is undermodeled.  I still have concerns this could be a very bad FZRA event N Queens/NYC and WNW from there

• Like 1