Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

7 minutes ago, justinj said:

when was the last time the nyc metro area experienced a serious ice storm?

Jan 94. Very very much on the table from northern queens NW. This is based on CAD and the NE wind. Throw in a little climatology too. I think the island outside of NW Nassau shouldn’t see much ice. Good thump of snow though with serious rates for a time could surprise ala feb 14

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, justinj said:

expecting 1-3" here on the south shore of suffolk in holbrook then going to rain after a few hours of snow

Where I am will put up a fight but no guarantees.  I've seen it low 30s with snow/sleet here while it's low 40s with rain at ISP, then 15 minutes later it's 40 and raining here.  Feels good for a few minutes yet in the end means nothing most times.  But we live for the exceptions.  Feb '13 and Feb '14 were nice exceptions.  This one has potential...or we could see the warm side of 50 for a couple of hours.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Where I am will put up a fight but no guarantees.  I've seen it low 30s with snow/sleet here while it's low 40s with rain at ISP, then 15 minutes later it's 40 and raining here.  Feels good for a few minutes yet in the end means nothing most times.  But we live for the exceptions.  Feb '13 and Feb '14 were nice exceptions.  This one has potential...or we could see the warm side of 50 for a couple of hours.

i lived in smithtown until i moved out to holbrook in october. the whole NW suffolk area seems to have always been the bullseye for the highest snow totals on LI

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kingbaus said:

6z nam is way south but the rain snow line is still pretty north.

Definitely 50 miles or so south vs. 0Z, but a very similar precip profile, with the ~6" snow line on TT being about the same as 0Z; just remember a lot of the "snow" is actually sleet and also Pivotal is still showing 1/2" or so freezing rain along 95.   Still the best model for the 95 corridor and has performed decently the past few seasons.  

namconus_asnow_neus_25.png

• Like 1

Early panels on 06z RGEM show it’s coming south from its 00Z run.  This isn’t a total surprise since it was fairly far north yesterday at 12 and 18 and it’s often overamped at the end of its cycles.   The EPS also appeared to go north from its 12Z run like the 00Z Euro did but it was hard to tell on the mean because the system appeared faster too 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Just took a nice walk and measured 1/2" of gorgeous fresh powder here at 28F and snowing lightly - would be nice to make it to 1"...

...yeah..i got close to an inch of snow..temp @ 28.4..still have -S.

wouldn't surprise me if this will be more snow then i get on sat./sun slop fest.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tim said:

...yeah..i got close to an inch of snow..temp @ 28.4..still have -S.

wouldn't surprise me if this will be more snow then i get on sat./sun slop fest.

No that’s not going to be the case Tim. I mean in life anything is possible just chances are against that. Unless you live in south jersey 

Just now, NYCweatherNOW said:

No that’s not going to be the case Tim. I mean in life anything is possible just chances are against that. Unless you live in south jersey 

We can hope it verifies on the warmer end, those of us in lower NNJ/CNJ, so we don't get much ice. If much snow is off the table, I'd rather plain rain ( though we are all sick of the rain )

1 hour ago, HVSnowLover said:

Upton seems to be going with the NAM in their forecast, their highs on Sunday are pretty cold

Makes sense-the NAM being mesoscale should be the model to pick up on any CAD etc.   It's a bit odd to see the euro not agreeing with the NAM yet-they usually come into line about 48 hrs out...

• Like 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

So still no resolution even though the shortwave is now onshore?  If this is still happening within 24 hrs of the start of the event I'd be shocked.

The Euro thinks the northern stream is really gonna pull the whole thing north.  The Euro occasionally gets over zealous on that type of idea and given this is a somewhat unorthodox type storm....almost a SWFE/coastal hybrid it may be having a difficult time.  The NAM would cave either this run or this afternoon most likely.  If it continues getting colder the Euro is probably wrong.

• Like 1

Good Friday morning mets, weather enthusiasts et al, 

Several images, all produced by the NWS ~4-5A today.  Some are experimental.  

1) prob for 12+ ...probability legend coded...orange 80% prob 12+. WPC

2) prob for >.10 glaze. Probability legend coded. Only 40-50%. Probably in part due to excessive runoff of heavy zr, when/if it occurs, and also it could be sleet. It's a statistical probability.  WPC

3) collaborated snowfall forecast of multiple WFO's. NWS

4) Experimental IMPACT graphics, based on WFO collaboration of snow and ice.  NWS

The following calendar day cold -Monday 1/19/19 - MLK Bday - imo, is going to be our coldest since 1/17/09. I think that adds to the overall impact but is not accounted for in these graphics.

Later,

Walt

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 6.08.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 6.09.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 6.13.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.06.13 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1