SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

14 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Winter storm watch for NYC

3-6 inches of snow with some ice.

Yes they have 3 to 6 inches region wide...which is a bit of a joke given what the models are doing and how much variance will occur based on location.

I imagine when it comes to Warning time, city will get a WWA if they are lucky

Just now, jfklganyc said:

Yes they have 3 to 6 inches region wide...which is a bit of a joke given what the models are doing and how much variance will occur based on location.

if guidance continues to warm I agree...however a watch makes sense-they can always convert to an advisory or simply drop the watch if models show mostly rain tomorrow-makes sense to alert the public at this juncture

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jfklganyc said:

That's not true, amounts are higher over the interior. For example my watch is calling for 4-8" of snow and up to 0.25" of ice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, winterwarlock said:

5-8 for Somerset County...what is Mt Holly drinking?

Maybe the western portions and some of the hills; the eastern portions should be in line with Middlesex Co. We generally cannot expect much in these setups. Best we can hope for is more warmth, because the alternative is more ice. All snow or sleet we can deal with, but that doesn't look likely.

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It's funny, and sad how the same people that bashed the NWS for calling for all rain yesterday are now bashing them for forecasting snow.

I want to say you have been one of the most level headed posters on this thread. Unfortunately I can't say the same for others and their incessant drama every time a new model run comes out. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That's not true, amounts are higher over the interior. For example my watch is calling for 4-8" of snow and up to 0.25" of ice.

Based on what you are seeing, how bad of an icing problem are you anticipating (from freezing rain; I don't care about snow or sleet) for northern Bergen County, around the GSP as opposed to 287?

10 minutes ago, jr461 said:

Based on what you are seeing, how bad of an icing problem are you anticipating (from freezing rain; I don't care about snow or sleet) for northern Bergen County, around the GSP as opposed to 287?

I think it's a really tough call. 3k NAM Soundings in that area show a warm layer from roughly 850mb down to about 925mb. From 2500' down to the surface, temperatures drop like a rock down to the lower 20's. This is valid at 06z Sunday. Prior to that, the warm layer is only around 850mb, so that would probably be more of a snow/sleet mix at that point. It all depends on how long precip persists after 06z with those conditions. If you get 8-12 hours of that you're going to have some serious issues. Eventually the column will start to cool again though so if precip hangs on long enough it could flip back to more of a snow/sleet mix.

9 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

It honestly looks good for an easy 3-6 in the city itself.

Anyone can ban me or whatever for being negative  it it doesn't do the thread any justice being on board for a snowy outcome which is virtually impossible at this stage.

For NYC this is really a non event per current guidance. A little snow to washout rain, (albeit some may freeze initially) to whatever is left, flash freezing but we all know in the 5 boros it will probably be dry or way overly salted (current 2" drifts on either side of the street) non event unless guidance completely fails and we're 28° or less for the entirety of the event. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Anyone can ban me or whatever for being negative  it it doesn't do the thread any justice being on board for a snowy outcome which is virtually impossible at this stage.

For NYC this is really a non event per current guidance. A little snow to washout rain, (albeit some may freeze initially) to whatever is left, flash freezing but we all know in the 5 boros it will probably be dry or way overly salted (current 2" drifts on either side of the street) non event unless guidance completely fails and we're 28° or less for the entirety of the event. 

This thread isnt just for nyc. You made your point. Numerous times. Let it go now and allow those who will be seeing more than just a quick shot of snow discuss it without the drama. Thanks. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ericjcrash said:

Honestly,  are you a troll? Every run you just go against guidance in favor of a snowy solution which would only exist if you were it the northern half of Sullivan county or beyond.

Its not just northern half of Sullivan county that sees significant snow. Anybody 50 miles north and west of city should get significant wintry precip. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Its not just northern half of Sullivan county that sees significant snow. Anybody 50 miles north and west of city should get significant wintry precip. 

You don't need to go 50 miles. 25 miles, especially NW. Bergen County really changes once you reach Allendale on Rt. 17.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BxEngine said:

This thread isnt just for nyc. You made your point. Numerous times. Let it go now and allow those who will be seeing more than just a quick shot of snow discuss it without the drama. Thanks. 

That's fine I've also pointed out numerous times how the HV may be in line for a catastrophic ice event. There is also a N&W thread for this situation. There's been, and always has been unrealistic wishcast posters who can freely post nonsense so long as its snowy and get by. I would also love a crippling blizzard  it that's going to have to wait for a different season or year.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Thank you. 100's of posts that are NYC centric. Don't get me wrong,  I get it. I know where the population center is, but I'd love to hear thoughts of the more knowledgeable posters on their thoughts for places like northern Morris, far NW Passaic Co, Eastern Sussex Co.. etc, etc..

• Haha 1

Only reason and it’s probably a stupid one that I suspect this could end up moving east is the GFS which tends to overphase anytime there’s northern stream involvement isn’t really doing that more than the Euro/UKMET at all.  The southern wave as NJ pointed out I believe earlier has done what we wanted the last 36 hours but the northern stream has gone ape on the UKMET/Euro cancelling that out or even making the setup worse.  The GFS not cranking the track more NW than those two models given what they’ve trended towards deviates somewhat from what I would expect.  If those other models are getting too happy with that northern stream this could end up surprising us over the next 36 hours by moving further southeast 

4 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

That's fine I've also pointed out numerous times how the HV may be in line for a catastrophic ice event. There is also a N&W thread for this situation. There's been, and always has been unrealistic wishcast posters who can freely post nonsense so long as its snowy and get by. I would also love a crippling blizzard  it that's going to have to wait for a different season or year.

But does it really matter? Let them be. I'm just south of the city ( Manhattan ) across from SI and while I don't expect much snow, I'm not ready to say it's a non event; been fooled by ice in the past. The potential has to be respected. I'm rooting for not much ice FWIW, but ya know it's out of our control....

Only reason and it’s probably a stupid one that I suspect this could end up moving east is the GFS which tends to overphase anytime there’s northern stream involvement isn’t really doing that more than the Euro/UKMET at all.  The southern wave as NJ pointed out I believe earlier has done what we wanted the last 36 hours but the northern stream has gone ape on the UKMET/Euro cancelling that out or even making the setup worse.  The GFS not cranking the track more NW than those two models given what they’ve trended towards deviates somewhat from what I would expect.  If those other models are getting too happy with that northern stream this could end up surprising us over the next 36 hours by moving further southeast 
Yes sir. I have said this about the ukie for the most part. It has not been too grabby except for last run where it had a bit of interaction and was able to grab a bit because it's outrunning the cold a bit. I know I've put my cards on the table before. I just agree.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1