Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

6 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Has anyone discussed the potential for a combined flash freeze (not sure of definition but I'd say ~20F in 2 hours from above to below freezing) combined with ongoing precip, and couple of hours of n-nw wind gusts of ~45 MPH Sunday in our area.  Seems like a possibility from all model guidance? If you wish, let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Walt

The ZR threat in the inland areas is a concern along with the flash freezing. If the winds are also an issue, that could bring down trees and  cause power issues.

53 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Eh. We're not talking 36° on globals, we're talking 56°

Dude, look at the gradient.  It’s below freezing in Port Jervis.  It’s not the magnitude of the warmth that’s relevant, it’s the tendency of the strong arctic high to undercut that warmth with low-level cold.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

Dude, look at the gradient.  It’s below freezing in Port Jervis.  It’s not the magnitude of the warmth that’s relevant, it’s the tendency of the strong arctic high to undercut that warmth with low-level cold.

Agree, also in the inland areas, it might be tough to scour out the CAD and with the 1-3 inches forecasted  Thursday night inland, that will also help with keeping to surface temps cool.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Has anyone discussed the potential for a combined flash freeze (not sure of definition but I'd say ~20F in 2 hours from above to below freezing) combined with ongoing precip, and couple of hours of n-nw wind gusts of ~45 MPH Sunday in our area.  Seems like a possibility from all model guidance? If you wish, let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Walt

I think that's going to be a big story around here, ala 1994

• Like 1

The main reasons we are going to see more liquid then frozen this weekend is the EPO is going to briefly be positive and the MJO is going to be in an unfavorable phase for east coast snowstorms. Also any talk of flash freezes is pure speculation at this point IMO especially in the urban areas until we get within a couple days of the weekend event. IMO the Thursday night event could cause some travel headaches Friday morning with some front end frozen...…...

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

The main reasons we are going to see more liquid then frozen this weekend is the EPO is going to briefly be positive and the MJO is going to be in an unfavorable phase for east coast snowstorms. Also any talk of flash freezes is pure speculation at this point IMO especially in the urban areas until we get within a couple days of the weekend event. IMO the Thursday night event could cause some travel headaches Friday morning with some front end frozen...…...

I wouldn't say flash freeze potential is pure speculation. You have a 20-30° drop in 6 hours

Just now, bluewave said:

This looks like it could be a top 10 temperature gradient for this time of year.

58DAAA71-2BC1-48CF-B2FD-7353058AE37D.thumb.png.2b05c98994d356b349d5c18ba78d07d9.png

And keep in mind that’s the gradient that’s being shown by output from a global.  Certainly would be tighter than that IRL if that solution came to pass.

Classic case of the primary low hanging around too long. It doesn't die off until it reaches the Philly area. That's why the GFS shows the low jumping from Philly to the Gulf of Maine in six hours.

Now in reality, will that primary low make it that far North? Anybody's guess at this point. Blocking would have done us wonders.

1 minute ago, Sn0waddict said:

12z NAM definitely the coldest for Friday’s system, looks like snow for the entire region minus the east end of LI.  

I think we need that storm to really wind itself up in the gulf of Maine and into the maritimes a little to act as some sort of block for the follow up

3 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Walt's scenario is very similar to what happened on 2/2/1976.

I was three years old and in awe of the cold and snow in New Hampshire for that one, so no recollection like I do in 94.  I did find this on the Albany NWS page, which is clearly more extreme than the time I remember from 94.

February 2, 1976 Flash Freeze and Brief Blizzard

At Albany, NY, the temperature fell from 41°F at midnight, to 1°F at 10:30 AM, with a 30 degree drop in the few hours before sunrise. Rain changed to snow and winds at Albany increased to 50 MPH with gusts to 67 MPH. Officially, only 3” of snow was measured at Albany, but visibility was near zero during morning commute. Roads were very icy and travel was seriously hampered. Two fatalities were reported; a man died from exposure to cold and another man was blown off a tug boat into the Hudson River and drowned. Winds downed trees and powerlines and caused some power outages and isolated structural damage. Brief blizzard conditions occurred across New York State with blizzard conditions reported in Buffalo and New York City. A long stretch of the NYS Thruway was closed. Strong northwest winds also caused a record low tide in New York Harbor.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

The high pressure to our north is a bit stronger on this icon run resulting a much colder solution. Hopefully that’s a trend

4 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

12z ICON shifted the rain/snow line farther north.

Seriously which one is it?? We don’t need conflicting posts....