Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

Just now, David-LI said:

.25" of freezing rain is already very dangerous, imagine 1 inch?

Believe me: none of us want that. Not in the least. With that cold shot coming after it, there will be a lot of people left without heat. I'll take more rain if it means we're warm in the house and I can scroll through this forum on my phone that has a full battery.

tl;dr: I feel for whomever gets that ice, if it occurs.

28 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

So suppression is the least  likely scenario at this point, safe to assume? 

It could still happen.  Especially if the lead wave is stronger on Friday.  That disturbance will have an impact on the big storm in two ways.  Possibly acting as a 50/50 odd the Canada coast and also by just impacting where the height/thermal gradient is setup after it traverses the area 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It could still happen.  Especially if the lead wave is stronger on Friday.  That disturbance will have an impact on the big storm in two ways.  Possibly acting as a 50/50 odd the Canada coast and also by just impacting where the height/thermal gradient is setup after it traverses the area 

But what is the likelihood of it? 

Wondering if snow cover laid down by the Friday storm could force a track further South than what models might suggest. 
Absolutely. Allows for colder air to bleed further South, thus baroclynicity is pushed further SE. Happens quite a bit in winter with snow cover. LP systems take the path of least resistance and this is where the baroclynic gradient sets up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, redbanknjandbigbasslakepa said:

Euro not only is a torchfest this weekend but also becomes a disaster in the longer range with deep western trough and big SE ridge. Record warmth late January?

huh?  Euro showing anomalously quite cold weather from 1/24-1/29, at least...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good news is inland areas probably finally get something with the first wave.  Coast continues to be a question mark.  A lot depends upon obviously exact track, how fast it moves in, how much the high is able to anchor the gradient more ENE or E vs SE-S as it departs the east.  I do think ptype panels as of now on most models are too wet near the coast.  Particularly for NYC, Queens, Bronx.

1 minute ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Not what you said .....

You said there was a " big SE ridge and a trough in the west on the EPS in the long range "  , was that just your opinion ? 

Both the EURO/EPS are both AN on the 850mb T's and 500mb heights on each of the next 10 days.   It appears to be growing worse with time too.

• Confused 1

Jeez the EPS got the anti Bermuda effect on this run.  Often when we have a true coastal we see cases where several members skew the mean because they’re practically in Puerto Rico.  This run is the reverse, a few members visiting the Fridge’s digs in Chicago skewed the living crap out of it 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Good news is inland areas probably finally get something with the first wave.  Coast continues to be a question mark.  A lot depends upon obviously exact track, how fast it moves in, how much the high is able to anchor the gradient more ENE or E vs SE-S as it departs the east.  I do think ptype panels as of now on most models are too wet near the coast.  Particularly for NYC, Queens, Bronx.

Yeah, I think its primarily snow myself. Surface is a major issue though so it accumulating is probably a different story. End of run NAM is encouraging though and we all stay subfreezing and cash in.

1 minute ago, CIK62 said:

Both the EURO/EPS are both AN on the 850mb T's and 500mb heights on each of the next 10 days.   It appears to be growing worse with time too.

1st of all they are not AN , second , you don`t know how to use  " 850 anomalies " in mid Jan.

If your N 850  on Jan 20 is - 8 and LP comes through , your 850`s can be - 1 ( A PLUS 7 ANOMALY ) and the surface would be 30 with a snowstorm.

Stop using 850 anomalies in here in the heart of winter , low level 2 meter temps determine if you are AN or BN.

To your 1st point , here`s day 5 -10 which includes a cutter. So it`s cold before and very cold after. 

eps_t850a_5d_noram_41  JAN 14 - 2019  DAY 5 -10 850S.png

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Wondering if snow cover laid down by the Friday storm could force a track further South than what models might suggest. 

It’s an old wives tale that snowcover forces storm tracks. Even if for arguments sake we had 2 feet of snowcover on the ground, a storm can still track right over the snowcover. If you get a strong enough shortwave amping up in the wrong spot it doesn’t matter if you have deep snowcover and unmodified arctic air at the surface, the low can still cut right over the snowcover and arctic air. People make this argument all the time and it’s simply not true. It’s happened many times in the past

• Like 1