Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

29 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I have a good feeling about this one, which is rare for me

The lake component certainly adds confidence in getting a plowable snow.  IF (big if) the heavy synoptic band and the lake assistance both come together, then it's going to be huge.  

• Like 1

I’m pretty hype for this one.  This seems classic for a lot of the sub.  Big lobe of the PV over Hudson Bay setting up a tight thermal gradient/strong jet, strong moisture laden Pac shortwave riding west to east along the gradient.  Should be a good amount of QPF for someone with ratio boosts in there as well.  Obviously questions on how north it gets...the PV will have something to say about that...but could see how this is an along/north of Ohio River storm or more of a southern Great Lakes storm depending on where that gradient sets up.  Ensembles are locked and loaded with 6”+ (perhaps much more) potential wherever the snow sets up.  The one thing that could prevent this would be the PV being too suppressive...I doubt that happens but is within the realm. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, OHweather said:

I’m pretty hype for this one.  This seems classic for a lot of the sub.  Big lobe of the PV over Hudson Bay setting up a tight thermal gradient/strong jet, strong moisture laden Pac shortwave riding west to east along the gradient.  Should be a good amount of QPF for someone with ratio boosts in there as well.  Obviously questions on how north it gets...the PV will have something to say about that...but could see how this is an along/north of Ohio River storm or more of a southern Great Lakes storm depending on where that gradient sets up.  Ensembles are locked and loaded with 6”+ (perhaps much more) potential wherever the snow sets up.  The one thing that could prevent this would be the PV being too suppressive...I doubt that happens but is within the realm. 

The interesting thing I noticed with the PV is that the lobe of vorticity swinging around the vortex is speeding up a bit, with the southern stream piece slowing down there is even a chance that the first lobe may miss the southern stream system only to have a second lobe come down and phase with the system in a stronger manner too. Any slower ejection of the Southern stream and this could be an option opening up. Would certainly be a position of a stronger storm too, which some of the EPS members end up showing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The interesting thing I noticed with the PV is that the lobe of vorticity swinging around the vortex is speeding up a bit, with the southern stream piece slowing down there is even a chance that the first lobe may miss the southern stream system only to have a second lobe come down and phase with the system in a stronger manner too. Any slower ejection of the Southern stream and this could be an option opening up. Would certainly be a position of a stronger storm too, which some of the EPS members end up showing.

Yeah, the GFS especially has slowed down the southern stream shortwave, the Euro has been a bit slower overall with it.  It's interesting what that will do, because if the first lobe of the PV swings by in front of the storm it should shove the thermal gradient farther south, but if there is a phase with the second piece it may eventually cut a bit anyways if the first lobe of the PV gets out of the way fast enough.  If this can phase with the PV it'd be quite a storm...I tend to lean against that, but it is a possibility if the slower southern piece trend continues, and if he second lobe of the PV dives aggressively enough.  I suppose the other option is it phases with the second piece kind of late which would be more beneficial to the eastern lakes and Northeast.

1 minute ago, chuckster2012 said:

Lakes or O.V.? That seems to be the question. 18z GFS has a foot of snow from St.Louis to Cincy. It sucks to be in the bullseye this far out. Not even going to worry about it for a couple more days..

In my experience, the portion of the OV that is north of the Ohio River is usually just lumped into "Midwest" in those kind of regional discussions.  

6 minutes ago, Baum said:

way too much talk...way too soon. heartbreak typically  follows....you'll excuse me if i don't buy in  as the  cody parkey therapy tour is still too fresh. That said...winter is coming with a vengeance...me thinks.

Yep, Just seems like the rest of the month is offering up something special. Were all getting excited

6 minutes ago, Baum said:

way too much talk...way too soon. heartbreak typically  follows....you'll excuse me if i don't buy in  as the  cody parkey therapy tour is still too fresh. That said...winter is coming with a vengeance...me thinks.

This past weekend put a dent into my winter pessimism but thats about it.  I'm still not going to be confident until 12Z Thursday.  Still concerned with suppression even for my area.  I'd much rather have a big cutter so at least some of the sub gets some even if my area white knuckles it.  I don't like the strength of those ridges and the gateway for the frigid air opening up so close together.  There's a scent of a SE special in the air.  

From the Area Forecast Discussion from the National Weather Service in Wilmington, Ohio earlier...

The next winter storm is taking shape for next weekend. Models are 
in fair agreement showing low pressure containing copious moisture 
and strong winds tracking across the Tennessee Valley. This track 
places the ILN area in a cold easterly flow that would produce heavy 
snow from strong lift and moisture transport existing in the 
circulation around the low. A tight pressure gradient raises the 
possibility for blowing and drifting snow, along with subzero wind 
chills. 

• Like 1

Don't shame me too hard for posting this, but found this little gem off Weather.com for my locale. 

Have yet to see anything over a half inch this season. If it completely covers the grass, I'll be a satisfied man! (Real low standards this year)

image.png.9983760405d5e66f7b4613f1c79c8740.png

• Like 1