• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

This is above my own head so quasi-educated guessing but I know southern convection has been somewhat of a a concern and is not well modeled sometimes (I think it really messes with the NAM/GFS) as to robbing moisture.  It seems to me that with a more W-E progression of this system as opposed to a sharper cutter the convection should lag behind the moisture plume feeding this system.  Some of the models have shown a quick "drying out" on a few runs on the backside of this system  So I'm curious if below could be the reason some of the wrap around moisture gets cut off.....

enh_0400.gif?1547856252470

KIND's Aviation discussion describes the challenges for their forecast quite well..

The challenges begin when it comes to the degree of warming aloft
with the system and ultimately the impacts that will have on
precip type...especially Saturday morning. There continues to be a
zone where mixed precipitation looks likely near and just south
of I-70. Model soundings though bear out the challenges in precip
type as temperatures near freezing exist between 2500 and 4500 ft
for several hours near and after daybreak Saturday. Any
fluctuation of a few tenths of a degree either way could be the
difference between mainly snow and a mixture of snow...freezing
rain...sleet or even rain.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

Cleveland going for six to nine inches in the Findlay area by Sunday morning.

I’d say that’s fair for the entire area. Pretty much wherever that band sets up gets 9-10” and some serious rippage. Regardless the open space of NW Ohio is going to lead to blizzard conditions 

LOT aviation discussion: " The intial band of snow expected late this afternoon and evening shifted north"..sorry this is why I get frustrated. LOT has done a fine job laying out a complicated forecast and than a guy comes in and it's like he's completely out of touch. Even the late afternoon AFD lays out perfectly how things should develop. Worse, anybody remotely tuned in knew the initial frontal band would be displace north of the state line. Did this guy not get the memo?  I'm going to roll this back a bit as it could be a met coming on commenting on what he thought would transpire 24 hrs ago. Obviously, weather is ever changing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

00z HRRR has the precip minimum right through here.  Hopefully some of the banding can play out a bit differently and it's not quite so bad, but other models are singing a similar tune so this is not out of the realm of possibility by any stretch.  Wouldn't be surprised to only get a few inches from the system snow.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

00z HRRR has the precip minimum right through here.  Hopefully some of the banding can play out a bit differently and it's not quite so bad, but other models are singing a similar tune so this is not out of the realm of possibility by any stretch.  Wouldn't be surprised to only get a few inches from the system snow.

I live not that far from you. If this ends up being the case hopefully the lake effect tomorrow night makes up for it!

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

And the other night you were the jackpot.  

What a system.