• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

I feel for all the meteorologists having to forecast this. It’s times like these the storm gets overhyped 5 days out, social media catches wind, and spreads it like wildfire. Then when the storm under performs, the mets don’t know what they’re talking about. 

I have have a damn migraine from this thing, literally. Almost just want this storm to be over. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaveNay said:

Don't count your chickens before they hatch?

There'll be time enough for counting....when the dealin's done?

Never trust a fart?

Well I never said it was going to suck, but I want to see what pans out with the fgen band and the system moisture - try to determine out of curiosity which model was more accurate.

• Like 1

Looking at HRRR/3km NAM soundings are showing around 100mb of DGZ depth for east Iowa and west IL around 04z tonight.  That's not particularly deep.  Not sure why local offices are forecasting up to 18:1 LSRs.  Even in the northern DVN cwa the DGZ is still only around 100mb.  There is decent lift in that zone, but not sure that is deep enough to make a substantial difference.  This could be a situation where outside of the enhanced bands the LSRs are pretty paltry, but underneath the LSRs could be substantially better.  

16 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

HRRR looks to be a touch north with the FGEN placement at initialization. Probably noise, but makes a difference for those in extreme N IL riding the edge of the line 

RAP too. I’ve noticed both the hrrr/RAP are bringing higher amounts further east into IL in recent runs 

Edit: If anything, maybe it means the area just south of the band right now will fill in sooner than it’s showing later today

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Onset near/before dawn.  Conditions going downhill later Saturday morning into Saturday evening.

Good to know, as I was expecting it to be later in the day.  Could be a game changer all the way around.  I'll be paying close attention.  

Although the really high end totals may not happen near the lake in northeast IL, there's no reason to back off on the idea of double digit amounts there, storm + LES.  I could see like 10-14" combined total there, as long as the LES doesn't pull a fast one (literally, by moving out too quickly).

Just now, Hoosier said:

Although the really high end totals may not happen near the lake in northeast IL, there's no reason to back off on the idea of double digit amounts there, storm + LES.  I could see like 10-14" combined total there, as long as the LES doesn't pull a fast one (literally, by moving out too quickly).

Skillings futurecast is looking decent https://wgntv.com/weather/maps-and-radar/interactive-radar/