Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

2 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Do you see the fgen band as far south as Champaign? 

Fgen band is going to be way north. We are depending on deformation band snows. Nearly all models have this screw zone in between the deformation band and fgen band with lower totals. We shall see if that improves in time

FWIW(and I honestly think a decent bit) all three of the WRF models (ARW, NSSL and NMMB) are pretty juiced up with the precip in Iowa through the end of their runs. All of which eclipse 6" on a 10:1 map over a fairly large area. The fact that they all generally agree with each other(and the NAM) is worth more to me than any of the individual runs.

• Like 1

These fgen bands have really delivered here in the IL/WI border counties during storms the past few years. I wonder if that's just a coincidence, or maybe it has something to do with the lake. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see it lift a county or two further north than depicted... seems to often be the case. UMB WX, I'd keep an eye out, those death bands tend to bring the goods and stack the inches quick, especially when colder temps and the dgz are involved.

7 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Fgen band is going to be way north. We are depending on deformation band snows. Nearly all models have this screw zone in between the deformation band and fgen band with lower totals. We shall see if that improves in time

Thanks. Haven’t been able to keep up today, busy busy day. Thanks for the update. Things are def trending in a bad direction here 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Well, I'm on the border of 3-5 and 5-7 per NWS for snow and a .10 to a glaze of ice.   Other forecasts are different.  Gonna be interesting.

Yeah I've been worried about those 850's for a few days now. With a weaker ridge and the surface low amping up on the models the last 5 days it puts Central In/I70 back where we usually are with these things.  The nose of that low level jet is right on my doorstep as modeled right now.  I69 and points east look better to cash in on any phasing.  We're gonna miss out on the bulk of any Fgen snows.  Things are still a bit up in the air though.  This little Pied Piper wave cut about 3 or 4 inches off the existing snowpack so hopefully we all can get a good 6 inch topper to clean it up.  Then we gotta worry about a real potential rainer before the ice box sets in next week.

15 minutes ago, tuanis said:

These fgen bands have really delivered here in the IL/WI border counties during storms the past few years. I wonder if that's just a coincidence, or maybe it has something to do with the lake. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see it lift a county or two further north than depicted... seems to often be the case. UMB WX, I'd keep an eye out, those death bands tend to deliver, especially when colder temps and the dgz are involved.

I feel you.. I've seen those bands many of times rot 2 counties north of me when i've felt I was in a decent spot.   I'm just spooked of subtle trends SE being the norm that I'm a tough sell on fgen setting up farther north here.  That's what I think we need to have a shot of getting round two in to play more for those south.  I'm not stoked for tonight's models.

Just now, Jackstraw said:

Yeah I've been worried about those 850's for a few days now. With a weaker ridge and the surface low amping up on the models the last 5 days it puts Central In/I70 back where we usually are with these things.  The nose of that low level jet is right on my doorstep as modeled right now.  I69 and points east look better to cash in on any phasing.  We're gonna miss out on the bulk of any Fgen snows.  Things are still a bit up in the air though.  This little Pied Piper wave cut about 3 or 4 inches off the existing snowpack so hopefully we all can get a good 6 inch topper to clean it up.  Then we gotta worry about a real potential rainer before the ice box sets in next week.

It's an interesting call for us in Indy area. We really need a big storm bad. Kind of bummed feeling good about this all week for it to turn into this typical I70 game again 

• Like 1

Hasn't really been talked about lately, but to me it looks like blizzard criteria will be approached if not met in some areas.  Still looks like a swath of around 40 mph gusts possible.  I guess the question is whether things come together long enough with the winds and visibility.  Should at least be blizzard-like if it does fall short. 

• Like 6

Tough forecast for this area.  It looks like the initial front band will miss just north, which takes 0.2-0.3" of precip potential away.  The heavier precip with the deform snows will slide well south.  Looks like we'll be in the middle with sort of a 3-5" type of an event.  Looks like a solid advisory event, and a nice refresher.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Plumes for DTW are at 9" with one hilarious run of 25" also some duds around 0-2" They have been going up since this morning though 03z 4" 09z 8" and now 9" on 15z

Yet it's still radio silence from NWS Detroit for any Winter Storm Watch.

• Like 1

Just now, Moosey2323 said:

Yet it's still radio silence from NWS Detroit for any Winter Storm Watch.

I am not in the business of burying NWS offices, though I would be doing this differently. They do have the benefit of this starting about 30 hours from now so they could issue something in the morning with enough awareness, though I would have this afternoon.

• Like 1