• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

On a bright side, we have back-to-back systems to track with next weeks system potentially being a huge one! Euro laid down 10" for me just on Wednesday. Need to get through this one first, but models have definitely been consistent for a couple days now on another big impact storm next week!

• Like 1

Just now, UMB WX said:

Frustrating for sure. This is normally a bread and butter GRR storm.   Just can't buy a hooker from the pan handle anymore.

This will still end up being a good event too for GRR. We will lose out to our south, but still 3-5" is not bad at all!

Just now, Aleksey said:

This will still end up being a good event too for GRR. We will lose out to our south, but still 3-5" is not bad at all!

Totally taking any snowfall I can get.  You didn't see any flakes from the last storm did you?

Hate to waste a setup like this one but it is what it is and there indeed looks to be enough chances for some snows to keep it interesting to end the month.

1 minute ago, UMB WX said:

Totally taking any snowfall I can get.  You didn't see any flakes from the last storm did you?

Hate to waste a setup like this one but it is what it is and there indeed looks to be enough chances for some snows to keep it interesting to end the month.

I saw a few flakes, but that was it. We are so below average year to date it is ridiculous. Our last good accumulating snow was legit in November lol we have legit had under 5" total since the end of November haha

2 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

How are you guys on the other side of the lake doing?

2 minutes ago, Aleksey said:

We had 14.4" in November and are currently sitting at 18.7" haha no way we hit our yearly average of 75" 

Well it will be fun trying to get there. At least now we have cold lurking and you have a nice body of water to your west for some stat padding.  GL this weekend.  We can still hope to nudge the numbers up a bit but it looks par for the course that another system scoots by south and doesn't realize its potential out our way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UMB WX said:

Well it will be fun trying to get there. At least now we have cold lurking and you have a nice body of water to your west for some stat padding.  GL this weekend.  We can still hope to nudge the numbers up a bit but it looks par for the course that another system scoots by south and doesn't realize its potential out our way.

I am excited for the next 10 days, a ton of potential and that wednesday system next week looks like it has some serious legs!

• Like 1

For Grand Rapids, I would agree on the 3-5”... however I do believe they forget that there is more than just Grand Rapids they need to account for. Always seems that if it doesn’t interest Kent county as much as Jackson county, they act ho-hum about it. Been like this for years with certain forecasters. If WDM (Bill) was the forecaster for this storm he would go into much detail about it and where he thinks the best snowfall would be. Also, he would’ve most certainly issued a SWS at minimum to cover the potential for heavy snow. 

I-94 corridor is looking at 4-8” locally if the storm system holds true and trends continue - that is most certainly a significant snowfall and it should be noted. But again, I don’t know why I would expect any different. It’s only public life and property on the line haha.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harry Perry said:

For Grand Rapids, I would agree on the 3-5”... however I do believe they forget that there is more than just Grand Rapids they need to account for. Always seems that if it doesn’t interest Kent county as much as Jackson county, they act ho-hum about it. Been like this for years with certain forecasters. If WDM (Bill) was the forecaster for this storm he would go into much detail about it and where he thinks the best snowfall would be. Also, he would’ve most certainly issued a SWS at minimum to cover the potential for heavy snow. 

I-94 corridor is looking at 4-8” locally if the storm system holds true and trends continue - that is most certainly a significant snowfall and it should be noted. But again, I don’t know why I would expect any different. It’s only public life and property on the line haha.

Totally agree! Only thing that sucks is the bulk of this storm comes in the overnight hours, the heaviest at least. I wish it was during the day so I could enjoy it :/

Just now, mississaugasnow said:

Winter Storm watches up for portions of the GTA. Current forecast is 2-4" northern Suburbs, 4" Downtown, and where the winter storm watches are (west end of GTA to border) up to 10". 

We are very close to the heavier amounts to our south. One more bump to the north will help a great deal. Some of the 12z Euro ensembles give more than 0.6” QPF (15 mm) to the GTA.

7 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

The Northern Indiana southeast Michigan gang have to hope for a more robust system they are stuck in limbo right now.

I think the FGEN band does this area well on Saturday. Those tend to be undermodeled and then the far SE part of the area could still get swiped by the southern piece.

• Like 1

Honestly I would have issued a watch for the southern 3 tiers of counties in MI, I don't know why GRR/DTX didn't. Worse case scenario you back into a WWA. I am always of the idea of using watches to outline potential and downgrading if needed. Upgrading mid event is never good in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1