Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

9 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

NAM definitely going to be better and probably north.

Southern wave is stronger, neutral tilt trough sooner, more ridging over Midwest/OV and less ridging over Western states earlier.

I have 27 hours (midnight Thursday) to decide if I’m hunkering down in the Chicago Loop Saturday morning (and all day) or trying to drive home 50ish miles... Looking more and more likely I may be saying downtown. But now the lake effect Saturday night could make Sunday trouble. Sampling and next 24 hours will start turning some of this ensemble roulette into hopefully a more clear picture...

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

NAM is going to be well north, many factors in play.

With the high to the north across the UP into Ontario, any stronger and further north the system goes the stronger the pressure gradient will be also the stronger the frontogenesis will be. This could really squeeze the juice out of the atmosphere.

• Like 1

One big observation on the 0z NAM is that the following wave crashing into the PAC NW is actually helping lower heights with the Western ridge. This might help kick our the southern trough, possibly northeast a bit eventually.

Yep that is the kicker, only downside would be that it might speed the forward progression of the storm but that would be a small downside compared to the positives coming out of the kicker wave.

• Like 1

Boy oh boy oh boy.   This one gets the ole tracking juices flowing again.  Just a classic looking MW storm. It's a shame we won't realize its full potential up this way but I can use my what if imagination.  Still could do quite well here all things considered.    First Jan storm in yrs that I feel there's a chance.

Excellent thoughts on the previous page also. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, geddyweather said:

lol at that Gary, IN-Oak Harbor, OH long screw hole. Part of north central IL in there too. Fascinating feature.

Some kind of weird feedback issue on the 00Z NAM in the NW flank of the storm in the 66-80 hour range.  Anyone speak to that?

If you think the 0z NAM is north, try the 0z RGEM...

It only goes to 48hrs, but it has a 999mb SLP over OKC at 48hr. The NAM is ~1003MB near Fredrick, OK along the Red River.

That is the one thing I don't know if I buy, the 12NAM's intensity, even the 3km NAM is a bit stronger too. It is closer to the 18z GFS which was even stronger.

Just now, RyanDe680 said:

The big question should be who else comes to the NAMs agreement.  Even with this new run there’s still the outliers 

I would have to imagine the Euro comes north tonight, to be honest I would be shocked if it didn't. The RGEM is already north as a mesoscale model. With the system starting to reach shore we are starting to get useful data on it as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I would have to imagine the Euro comes north tonight, to be honest I would be shocked if it didn't. The RGEM is already north as a mesoscale model. With the system starting to reach shore we are starting to get useful data on it as well.

Supposedly the 18z Euro was a little north.