Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Parameters would support 1-2" per hour type rates in the heart of the band once it gets cranking, so storm total amounts could be high end if it stalls anywhere for a prolonged period.  

I don’t recall seeing any LE headlines in Cook for a couple years. Wonder if this weekend changes that.

2 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I don’t recall seeing any LE headlines in Cook for a couple years. Wonder if this weekend changes that.

March 2017 I believe. But that was a straight LE event unlike this one which will be synoptic transferring to lake event

4 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I'm not sure how they'll handle it, since there's a storm too.  

In any event, while it's still a bit early to get into amounts, I like the possibility of double digit storm totals in northeast IL, especially closer to the lake.

6 minutes ago, mimillman said:

It has been a while, but I'd say it's unlikely given synoptic snows will be heavily involved.

This is the last winter LE headlines are in play too, with winter headline simplification coming soon.

1 hour ago, michaelmantis said:

Sure this is a question with a lot of unknowns given the models, but for N IL does this look to be more of a matter of timing (i.e. starting later) or amounts? I get both are related, just trying to figure out how bad Saturday morning could potentially be in NE IL. Have to make a decision if I'm going to stay overnight or try to drive home in what seems to be like the middle of the storm Saturday morning. Appreciate any crystal ball reads given the latest models!

Long time no see...Still down the road in Elgin I see as well.

I think either way right now, start time should be Friday evening/early Friday night as the FGEN snows move in. 

Definitely positive trends since last nights 00z debacle. I would say if this continues to trend through today across all runs then I would have to discount the 00z runs as an aberration. We have seen this song and dance before, a massive shift in the 84-108 time period only to immediately start correcting back 6 hours later.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Definitely positive trends since last nights 00z debacle. I would say if this continues to trend through today across all runs then I would have to discount the 00z runs as an aberration. We have seen this song and dance before, a massive shift in the 84-108 time period only to immediately start correcting back 6 hours later.

This.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

When you look at the 12z GFS today and yesterdays 18z GFS, you can see the difference. The vort isn't as robust and the phasing is slower, creating a disorganized northern stream "look". With a single vort phase, you need the move from positive-neutral-negative tilt to happen robustly. This is where the Vort being over no mans land is a problem.

That's not the issue at all.

This loop shows what the changes have been...

NEXLABdpdt-15Z-20190119_GFSUS_500_avort-20-100.gif

• Like 1

I think combo of the ridge out west + PV orientation. Seems to be the theme

There are many things, and most are positive.

-The heights with the ridge out in the West have trended lower, with additional waves moving in and topping the ridge sooner.
-The southern trough is becoming more compact and neutral tilt, with a crisp trough.
-There is also more riding ahead of the southern trough, in the East.
-Finally you have a slower northern stream wave, we just can’t have this end up being too slow...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Euro is the outlier then today

crazy that they went that way.   I was hoping for a more amped look to bring it back to at least where it was last night if not before that.    Without any interaction or phasing, a progressive weak system is definitely not out of the realm as fast as things are flying around in this pattern.   There is a small threat tomorrow and another threat already next week.   We need to start seeing the end of the parade if we want anything truly memorable to happen.

Just checked WB....didn't look bad for the Ohio crowd actually, a tad north and lots of 10" amounts.   Maybe not a massive big dog, but not bad for a 4-5 day eps mean