SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

11 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Euro south and weaker 

It's well south of 12z.

The northern stream ended up further west and really dug into MI/WI/MI, which is good for phasing. However, the southern stream ended up much more positive tilt and just continued on east, before phasing over the SE Coast...instead of pushing NE and phasing over the Ohio Valley.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

It's well south of 12z.

The northern stream ended up further west and really dug into MI/WI/MI, which is good for phasing. However, the southern stream ended up much more positive tilt and just continued on east, before phasing over the SE Coast...instead of pushing NE and phasing over the Ohio Valley.

I noticed that as well. It went south but for seemingly different reasons. The rest of the guidance digs the wave into Mexico(or pretty close). The euro appears to my untrained eye to be very strung out and disorganized with the southern stream energy which would be in direct conflict with the rest of the 00z suite. If they dig more, one would assume that those models are stronger/more pronounced with the southern stream at 500mb to the point where they end up far enough south that they miss the northern stream and don't phase until later, if they do at all. 

19 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

If this storm continues to wuss out as we get closer I'm hoping that means the early week storm trends stronger.  Could definitely see that scenario play out.

The worry I have with that though is that we need the cold air behind this system, if it doesn't phase then you end up with the euro tonight with a good system bad thermos, until that system phases.

IWX think's it'll correct north

With that said, it is common for models to weaken/suppress a 
storm in this time range only to slowly adjust back to stronger 
solutions shown 6-10 days out. The main southern stream wave of 
interest is still out over the Pacific ocean and doesn't look to 
enter the observation network until Thursday for better sampling. 
Bottom line...the potential for a more significant winter storm (6" 
plus snow and blowing snow) remains on the table. Stay tuned for 
updates as there are a lot of moving parts still to be resolved 
going forward.
  • Like 1

It's typical to see at least one model hold sway as to what you think might happen. When they all trend in the same direction,despite lack of sampling it's an ominous sign. Could be as Cyclone said a case of delayed, but not denied. Plenty of ingredients in the mix.

I would not call anything consensus right now. There was more of a consensus several days ago, I get a kick out of how the models can be consistent with each other far out, then as you get closer to the event they go haywire and in different directions. 6ZGFS as already corrected North from 00z as well as GEFS. Todays runs should be...interesting. 

Looking at GEFS individual ensemble members.  A couple of trends to take note of between 00Z and 06Z.  Much better clustering at 06Z at hour 66.  All members sans four in the panhandle of Texas, whereas the 00Z had several in Oklahoma, a couple in Kansas, and couple lagging behind in New Mexico, and two in Mexico.  At 06Z hour 72, all members are in Oklahoma, compared to the 00Z which had some in Texas.  At 06Z hour 78, there's less spread than hour 84 in the 00Z, again, the southernmost members are not in Texas.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I would not call anything consensus right now. There was more of a consensus several days ago, I get a kick out of how the models can be consistent with each other far out, then as you get closer to the event they go haywire and in different directions. 6ZGFS as already corrected North from 00z as well as GEFS. Todays runs should be...interesting. 

Consensus is in the eye of the beholder I guess. For MBY anyways, pretty clear move in the models..and not for the better. :lol:

And IMO, the ensembles have been almost useless. Especially the EPS. Consistently too far north up until this point, but they are lower skill. Alas, storm hasn’t happened yet. We watch and wait...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

They look better than last night. I get The mid range gfs op gaffes that always happens. The NAM in long range lol we all know it was comical. EURO and Canadian I think have been most consistent models. 

The Euro took a huge move south at 00z and the GGEM has been all over the place. I wouldn’t call that consistent.

I would argue actually that the GFS OP has been more consistent.

8 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Jeez the local CBS station in Toledo going with 3-6” for this one. That sounds crazy just going on moisture availability alone honestly. I mean while a legit blizzard with 10-15” would be awesome from an enjoyment standpoint, it’s hard to fathom predicting what amounts to a strong clipper out of this

It’s been an abysmal winter up to this point. Take it.

25 minutes ago, King James said:

Woke up to read the LOT AFD, definitely a different tone today.

I thought it was another fine job of laying out the possibilities, while clearly stating there is still much uncertainty. As there is with any weather event. The tone has always been cautious....as it should be.

• Like 1