• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

Pretty interesting differences at H5 on the 12z GFS. Higher heights out ahead but low is further south at 500, causing the surface low pressure to be further south.
Not a good run vs very encouraging 00z last night. Good thing there's plenty of time to get the changes we need. GFS did a horrible job handling the h5 wave at closer leads with this past weekend's event, so there's that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I have little confidence in GFS. It did god awful with the last storm and it has been all over the place with this storm. Last night it buried a wide swath between I72 and I80 and now it has a narrow swath south of where it was last night. No consistency 

Yeah I'm hoping the GFS is just GFS-ing and is wrong about that mini-screw zone over much of the DVN cwa lol.  Although the new GEM shows that too.  :yikes: Still a long ways to go so we'll see what happens.

• Sad 2

I like to think of operational model solutions at this lead time as being like individual ensemble members. They fall into the range of possible outcomes like the ensembles themselves. It's a good way to assess what you need to see happen to get the event you want or what could go wrong. We're still at a point where the shifts you see in the model suites may or may not be meaningful to the eventual outcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I like to think of operational model solutions at this lead time as being like individual ensemble members. They fall into the range of possible outcomes like the ensembles themselves. It's a good way to assess what you need to see happen to get the event you want or what could go wrong. We're still at a point where the shifts you see in the model suites may or may not be meaningful to the eventual outcome.

If the ensembles shift south, I think we can safely say the trend is not our friend.

6 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Agreed, everyone needs to calm down over the little shifts one way or the other this far out 

If the ensembles shift south, I think we can safely say the trend is not our friend.

I fully expect the GEFS to shift south because it's well known as being too non-dispersive with the operational GFS. 

Edit: Obviously if the negative trends on 12z runs thus far continue as we get closer, then we get concerned. Just for point of comparison, both GHD events had a few model cycles that drifted south until correcting way north. The synoptic setup has too much potential to give up on it yet.

Edit 2: Never mind on the GEFS

Good sign there.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I fully expect the GEFS to shift south because it's well known as being too non-dispersive with the operational GFS.

Edit: Obviously if the negative trends on 12z runs thus far continue as we get closer, then we get concerned. Just for point of comparison, both GHD events had a few model cycles that drifted south until correcting way north. The synoptic setup has too much potential to give up on it yet.

Glancing at gefs looks like if anything it ticked north.

• Like 2

Yep, a pleasant surprise. An encouraging sign considering that known tendency with ensembles vs. the OP model. Despite what I posted earlier about the GEFS in particular, this is a good reason to lean more heavily toward the ensembles at this range. The op models are not useless, they shouldn't be taken verbatim but they can be instructive on the positives and negatives with a particular setup.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Agreed. If anything I think we can agree to not freak out over the op GFS at this range, especially considering how poorly it did last weekend. Had literally 1” at PNT when they ended up getting 9” less than 48 hours from the event 

• Like 2