Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

2 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The GFS has been slowing the main energy in recent runs, trending toward the euro.  If the main energy is not quick enough to sneak underneath the Hudson Bay gyre(previous gfs runs showed this), it'll tend to be suppressed more, like the euro.

That gyre is there no matter what even if it was faster. The key is the initial piece. It needs to be as weak as possible otherwise this is another suppression job because the heights won't be able to rise quickly enough behind it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

That gyre is there no matter what even if it was faster. The key is the initial piece. It needs to be as weak as possible otherwise this is another suppression job because the heights won't be able to rise quickly enough behind it.

Initial piece as in the preliminary Thursday event right?

You are right about that lead piece of energy and its strength having an influence on the main storm.  However, also check out the GFS 500 trend to see the main energy going from tucked under the Hudson Bay gyre to holding farther west and able to be suppressed by that lobe crashing down from the nw on Saturday.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh144_trend.thumb.gif.d1d76d32a74061be640ba1c8299fa043.gif

Hawkeye and Stebo's posts show the players on the field that will need to be sorted out.  I think the idea of the slower it is, the more likely it means a southern track has some merit.  The way to get a more northern track with a slower system would be if the confluence is weaker than currently progged. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Hawkeye and Stebo's posts show the players on the field that will need to be sorted out.  I think the idea of the slower it is, the more likely it means a southern track has some merit.  The way to get a more northern track with a slower system would be if the confluence is weaker than currently progged. 

Which is where that initial piece needs to be weaker, a stronger piece would promote more confluence.

• Like 1

There's at least 24 hours of pure lake effect (not including lake enhancement) targeting the IL/WI shoreline area on this run.  Nothing is guaranteed in weather but I'd almost lock in the idea of several inches in the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor even this far out.  There would have to be a massive breakdown in the synoptic setup to not only take the system out of reach, but the LES too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

There's at least 24 hours of pure lake effect (not including lake enhancement) targeting the IL/WI shoreline area on this run.  Nothing is guaranteed in weather but I'd almost lock in the idea of several inches in the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor even this far out.  There would have to be a massive breakdown in the synoptic setup to not only take the system out of reach, but the LES too.

The models could erase the system in its entirety and it'd still be hard to be pessimistic with such kinds words :)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I have a good feeling about this one, which is rare for me