Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-13th Winter Storm Obs

Orangeburgwx

3 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

No power at the farm in Stuart.  Still good here in Kernersville.  Radar says this will finish up by mid morning.  Looking forward to a quick melt!

Well that storm was a dud! All the model projections were wayyyyyy off with the warm nose up this way. 

7 minutes ago, norcarolinian said:

around .25" ice here in NW Guilford. Power still on for now. Trees breaking in the distance. Hate that sound!

1966685577_IMG_06801.thumb.jpg.cf5bc6145b99d9035499eff7b17d3adc.jpg

That is a cool picture. We had a little less than a quarter inch of ice here. Looks like around .15-.20. Stayed right at freezing all night long. Trees are beautiful, the glaze accumulated on everything elevated. Glad it wasn't any colder. We can count ourselves lucky. Now, on to the next event. LR looks good.

I woke up this morning extremely unimpressed by the small amount of ice here in Greensboro... everything has melted off of the lower surfaces and there isn't too much on the trees, although they look pretty. However, after checking Duke Power's Outage map, I was very surprised to see how many customers are without power in this area. As a matter of fact all around me there are thousands of outages in Greensboro alone. Forsyth county has more than 42,000 individual customers affected with power out and Guilford county has over 22,000 customers without power!! Overall there are more than 140,000 customers without power, which is rather surprising to me based on the small amount of ice that I see on the trees currently. Looking at their history outage data it looks as if the power outages began surging sometime between 4AM and 10AM. I guess many of us got lucky... not to say that I don't love a good ice storm; but I certainly wouldn't be on the computer currently and I would be quite a bit colder here in my house :o

Edit: 10 minutes after this post the power just flickered.. Yikes!! LOL Might have spoke too soon! The wind is picking up a bit out there! :(

Been without power since 7am. Lots of trees and limbs down around us. The train actually hit a tree that had fallen across the tracks. Just a small tree and no damage to the train (it was going super slow) but they were out clearing the tracks. Duke Power said they don't know when our power will be back on. I would upload pictures but it keeps telling me they are too big? They are just iPhone photos.

Been without power since 7am. Lots of trees and limbs down around us. The train actually hit a tree that had called across the tracks. Just a small tree and no damage to the train (it was going super slow) but they were out clearing the tracks. Duke Power said they don't know when our power will be back on. I would upload pictures but it keeps telling me they are too big? They are just iPhone photos.
Upload to imgur and then post shareable links.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Amazed at how long this ice is hanging around.  Usually these ZR events are gone by noon the next day.  I still have the entire forest behind my house encrusted in a quarter inch of ice and branches still falling.  Posing lots of issues for power crews trying to cut trees and pull new lines.  Everything is still doubled over.

14 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Amazed at how long this ice is hanging around.  Usually these ZR events are gone by noon the next day.  I still have the entire forest behind my house encrusted in a quarter inch of ice and branches still falling.  Posing lots of issues for power crews trying to cut trees and pull new lines.  Everything is still doubled over.

It wasn’t bad at all IMBY, but everything above ~15 feet is still coated and frozen.  Nothing too thick, but enough to drop limbs here and there.  I wonder what schools are going to do tomorrow.  Roads seem fine, but areas in Forsyth and north and west Guilford could still have issues into tomorrow.