• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Greenmachine1123
    Newest Member
    Greenmachine1123

January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

8.25”. i was expecting 2-4” and wound up with more. and 2 rounds of heavy snow. great storm.

• Like 3

4.25" for the WAA part and 4.5" for the coastal.  Total 8.75" with .57" melted value.  

15" on the season so far.

Finished with 6.8" on 0.54" of liquid.  Big totals weren't far from me.  From the PNS:

Martinsburg 2 E 11.7 1000 PM 1/13 NWS Employee

Martinsburg Arpt 1 N 10.6 1144 PM 1/13 Trained Spotter

• Like 1

7.5 total. Only 1.75 from round 2. I was about 15 miles too far south and east of the goods. In that several hour lull, I had sleet and freezing rain/drizzle. The round 2 bands set up about 40 miles north of what was modeled. As usual. Pretty uniform totals across PWC with 7 to 11 inches reported east to west. 

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Thanks don. That captures the forum split on this storm perfectly. 

Frustrating for those of us in here in the blue. Although I think that frustration was generally handled well. 

Probably the biggest forum splitter in terms of totals over such a short distance in our forum where a majority of forum cashed and a small area didn’t since I think the second Feb 2010 blizzard left @mattie g area behind in terms of totals. Maybe @C.A.P.E.‘s area in Jan. 2016 in the dry slot too.

fun storm to track though and at least no one got shut out.

It was nice to see DCA reach 10" for the first time since the January 22-23, 2016 mega snowstorm. Hopefully, all locations in the region will cash in with even larger amounts as the pattern continues to evolve toward a cold and potentially snowy one.

• Like 2

Oh my god guys, I have a pile of snow that is 3' high from shoveling. My son now has a tiny shovel that a neighbor gave me. I really got to meet all of my neighbors who helped a clueless person like me figure out how to deal with all the snow. This is great. Bonus pictures! 11.5" was my final snowfall amount.

SNOW IS AWESOME!

JXEZcPx.jpg

i1dyCZN.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

7.2".  

Great storm, but what happened to more snow to the south?  Martinsburg with 4" more than me.  Lol.  Wtf.

we got into heavy bands for several hours yesterday afternoon.  at one point my visibility was down to 1/8 mile.

3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Oh my god guys, I have a pile of snow that is 3' high from shoveling. My son now has a tiny shovel that a neighbor gave me. I really got to meet all of my neighbors who helped a clueless person like me figure out how to deal with all the snow. This is great. Bonus pictures! 11.5" was my final snowfall amount.

SNOW IS AWESOME!

JXEZcPx.jpg

i1dyCZN.jpg

Congrats, man!  Happy you finally got to experience a great storm.

6 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

we got into heavy bands for several hours yesterday afternoon.  at one point my visibility was down to 1/8 mile.

Wow.  I didn't get anything like that.  Hours of non accumulating  snizzle, until about 2pm.  Decent rates until about 330.  Picked up about an inch during that 90 min period.  After that it was just pixie dust until after 10 PM.  Picked up about another inch over those 7 hours.  Really poor ratio snow; it was like sweeping sand.  Pretty dense.

Remarkable for how long it snowed, but equally for how little I got.  The length of this storm (33 hours) nearly matched the '96 storm, but with vastly different results.

19 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

SNOW IS AWESOME!

JXEZcPx.jpg

i1dyCZN.jpg

I am super happy for you that you finally got to experience a legit snowstorm. There's nothing like it, in my view.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Wow.  I didn't get anything like that.  Hours of non accumulating  snizzle, until about 2pm.  Decent rates until about 330.  Picked up about an inch during that 90 min period.  After that it was just pixie dust until after 10 PM.  Picked up about another inch over those 7 hours.  Really poor ratio snow; it was like sweeping sand.  Pretty dense.

Remarkable for how long it snowed, but equally for how little I got.  The length of this storm (33 hours) nearly matched the '96 storm, but with vastly different results.

here’s one of the bands—visibility dropped even more after this:

17 hours ago, wxtrix said:

closing in on 2" in the last 90 minutes.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

SNOW IS AWESOME!

JXEZcPx.jpg

That's right...start 'em off early with doing the chores!  Uphill, both ways, with the sun in your eyes!  And like it! :lol:

But seriously...nice photos, and glad your first "real" snow event since being in this area was so fun!

(ETA:  I heard Jebman offers training courses in proper shoveling technique!)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

SNOW IS AWESOME!

Those are lifetime memories you are creating for your son.  Good job training him up in the ways that are good and right!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I moved from Glen Burnie to Prince Frederick in December 2013.

Gotcha.

Feb 5-6 2010 was awesome here. 28.5" and another 8" a couple days later. Most ive ever seen here and I am a Native Southern Marylander.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wdavis5784 said:

Gotcha.

Feb 5-6 2010 was awesome here. 28.5" and another 8" a couple days later. Most ive ever seen here and I am a Native Southern Marylander.

Before the move I lived in Glen Burnie all my life, so 2010 and all the classic HECS (2003, 1996, etc). I experienced up there. January 2000 was huge in southern MD too wasn’t it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Before the move I lived in Glen Burnie all my life, so 2010 and all the classic HECS (2003, 1996, etc). I experienced up there. January 2000 was huge in southern MD too wasn’t it?

Yes we got about 18" out of that one in Charlotte Hall ( Where I grew up, at the northern tip of St. Marys) I remember I was up playing guitar when the 10 oclock news came on and Sue Palka said anyone who went to bed before this newscast is in for a rude awakening when they wake up!! That was such an awesome storm because we were supposed to get 1-2" of slop and then the storm was heading out to sea. The last couple years havent been great, but we have actually managed to eek out a little more than those in the northern portion of the sub-forum. I am hoping we get one HECS this year to ease the pain of the last few years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, das said:

First bluebird sky starting to peek out.  Can't wait to get home this evening.

IMG_0376.thumb.jpg.ce9d6630f8fdba0f071bceba06ffbf49.jpg

IMG_0377.thumb.jpg.5f4c604891aa2c837c23dd9278d7e938.jpg

IMG_0378-1.thumb.jpg.ea85a5ba6cc16ccf7a7f8cea33f42f48.jpg

Will we get to see that time-lapse footage you mentioned you'd set up for this storm?  That'll be cool to watch with such a long duration but placid (wind-wise) storm...

My storm total in Arlington VA was 9.5.  :axe:

I had gotten a path cleared to my car, but now I have to do that and the car ALL OVER AGAIN.

• Haha 1