Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,389
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    crossbowftw3
    Newest Member
    crossbowftw3
    Joined
Bob Chill

January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, paxpatriot said:

Looking forward to some of the autopsies on this storm, including yours. Seems like a lot of mets went pretty conservative, and this thing really performed. 

Certainly not a pattern that would have signaled big snow for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Measured a little over 11'' in Olney. We really hit the jackpot here with this one, and I for one am thoroughly satisfied! I'm hoping this is a good indicator for things to come with the pattern shift on the 20th. I am a bit winded from the obs and storm-tracking -- I forgot how much energy and attention storm monitoring involves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love being a green-badger and having to go in while our client is home tomorrow.

That complaint out of the way, it was a great weekend. Despite being mostly shut out in the last few hours, ended just shy of 10”. Had such a blast with the kids (6 and 16 months) today - two rounds of sledding and a lot of snow eating! :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

5.3” at 7am, 4.5” new today.  9.8” total

Seems about in line with me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unofficial storm measurement for me in Brookeville, MD so far is 13 inches measured by what has accumulated on my trash can. Of course there could be some compacting going on there. Completely cleared the car and driveway at 1 PM and the car has gained a fresh 8 inches of very light fluffy snow on top since then. Quite the storm here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Gotta love being a green-badger and having to go in while our client is home tomorrow.

That complaint out of the way, it was a great weekend. Despite being mostly shut out in the last few hours, ended just shy of 10”. Had such a blast with the kids (6 and 16 months) today - two rounds of sledding and a lot of snow eating! :lol:

I’m a green badger and was told I cannot come in as green badgers are not allowed if blue badgers are not there to watch us.  Go figure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just wont stop out here. Not really expecting much more in the way of accums. But it is still snowing lightly. Just took the dog on a nice long walk. Gorgeous out. Picked up 3.3 inches with the ull. Total for the storm is 8.6 inches. Did WAY better than I expected after the lull we had overnight. Congrats guys/gals to the east. Pretty epic storm for you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Band to my west just keeps going...it's slowly fading while heading east.  Still lt/mod snow falling.

Q0qCNNu.png?1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BristowWx said:

I’m a green badger and was told I cannot come in as green badgers are not allowed if blue badgers are not there to watch us.  Go figure. 

Gotta love the govvie-contractor relationship/rules and how they differ from agency to agency. Thing is...my client will probably think we’re dumb when I tell them we went in. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Gotta love being a green-badger and having to go in while our client is home tomorrow.

That complaint out of the way, it was a great weekend. Despite being mostly shut out in the last few hours, ended just shy of 10”. Had such a blast with the kids (6 and 16 months) today - two rounds of sledding and a lot of snow eating! :lol:

Just curious, what do you have on the ground right now? I'm near Robinson and only have about 7".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It just wont stop out here. Not really expecting much more in the way of accums. But it is still snowing lightly. Just took the dog on a nice long walk. Gorgeous out. Picked up 3.3 inches with the ull. Total for the storm is 8.6 inches. Did WAY better than I expected after the lull we had overnight. Congrats guys/gals to the east. Pretty epic storm for you all!

here too.

I said that I didn't care how much I got but I just wanted to see the heavy snow part of my warning verify, and it did both yesterday and today.  the 8+ inches of snow is just a bonus.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, winterymix said:

Reisterstown 4.7

 

Congrats to those in the greater DC area that scored.

This is INSANE to me. I 70 was like a brick wall. Reports of 10-12” all around ec, Columbia, etc And reports of 4-6” in NW Baltimore county. What a crazy gradient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been drizzling for more than an hour, not a lot of accumulation. Not measured with the ice, but we may have gotten to 7" before it all started getting compressed. 4 mi South of Alexandria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will take the ICON more seriously with future storms. It picked up on the trailng piece first and also did very well with gradients and ptype etc. All models were too dry leading in. Overall the icon was pretty accurate and consistent. 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

8 inches 

Nice. I'm so surprised it filled back in and is actually light to moderate and accumulating once again. I spoke too soon when I said we ended on a weak note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jayyy said:

This is INSANE to me. I 70 was like a brick wall. Reports of 10-12” all around ec, Columbia, etc And reports of 4-6” in NW Baltimore county. What a crazy gradient. 

Yep..east side of Baltimore county didn’t fare well today either. I can confirm no new accumulation today, in fact it didn’t even snow much all day even under radar returns. I have to assume dry air in some part of the atmosphere was a problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And after 6,703 mid atlantic sub-forum posts related to this storm (threat threat+storm mode thread+this thread), this storm is wrapping up here in McLean with a little over 10 inches on the ground. What a fun storm to track

Would really be interested in hearing a post-mortem by one of the more experienced members of this sub. Talk about an overperformer-a couple days ago we were saying we'd consider ourselves lucky if we got 5 inches of snow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Yep..east side of Baltimore county didn’t fare well today either. I can confirm no new accumulation today, in fact it didn’t even snow much all day even under radar returns. I have to assume dry air in some part of the atmosphere was a problem

Sinking air to the east as a result of of intense rising air to your west. The storm’s location never allowed for the bands to pivot east. No worries. Well all hopefully cash in this weekend!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×