Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

3k looked more reasonable.

Certainly looks more plausible, but even that was a nice eye opener. H5 progression looks pretty solid on the run too. Could we be on to something? Have to watch the rest of the guidance suite to find out. Good start though if you want a bigger snowfall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

Certainly looks more plausible, but even that was a nice eye opener. H5 progression looks pretty solid on the run too. Could we be on to something? Have to watch the rest of the guidance suite to find out. Good start though if you want a bigger snowfall. 

Oh yeah the trend seems real. I just think the QPF may be a littlE gone wild on the 12k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[Old news, but from NCEP's 1/12/19 @ 3:30am heavy Snow Discussion]

A COASTAL LOW WILL BEGIN TO DEVELOP ALONG THE CAROLINA COAST  
SUNDAY MORNING. WITH DEEPER COLD AIR IN PLACE, WARM ADVECTION  
SPREADING EAST OF THE MOUNTAINS FOLLOWED BY ADDITIONAL  
PRECIPITATION WEST OF THE DEVELOPING LOW MAY CONTRIBUTE TO SOME  
SIGNIFICANT SNOW/SLEET AMOUNTS FARTHER TO THE NORTH. A CONTINUED  
TREND TOWARD HIGHER SNOW ALONG THE LOW LEVEL WARM FRONT OVER THE  
CENTRAL MID-ATLANTIC IS SUPPORTED BY LOW DAY 1 WPC PROBABILITIES  
FOR 8 INCHES THAT BLEED EAST FROM THE BLUE RIDGE OVER CENTRAL VA.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

3k looked more reasonable.

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

This.  3k doesn't go insane like the 12k, but is still a really nice storm.  Easily warning criteria for the entire LWX area.  Difference is what happens after 12z tomorrow on the 3k and 12k.  3k has a pretty modest moisture tap with some light snow while the 12k obliterates us.  Easy decision to go with the 3k until the Euro agrees with the 12k.  Please agree Euro.  

Eta...3k is still pushing a foot for areas around Wes and southern MD.  Damn.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm always very skeptical of nam qpf output.  Temps are usually pretty good but i've seen more than my share of qpf busts. That said, i'm hugging the 12k until it implodes

LOL! Agreed, I wouldn't buy the extreme amounts the NAM is spitting out (unless every other model does same thing today). But I do like the overall increases in QPF and better looks that guidance is showing. I think LWX right now is OK with low end warning extending into immediate metro DC area and increased advisory amounts north of there...seems reasonably conservative and realistic for right now pending later guidance. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Oh yeah the trend seems real. I just think the QPF may be a littlE gone wild on the 12k.

Completely agree. I'm sitting on the sidelines out here in Texas, so I'll have my popcorn ready reading on here and watching web cams back home. I'll be back in less than a week for a vacation to see the family, so hopefully I get a nice storm in the future. Been boring as heck out here this winter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

Completely agree. I'm sitting on the sidelines out here in Texas, so I'll have my popcorn ready reading on here and watching web cams back home. I'll be back in less than a week for a vacation to see the family, so hopefully I get a nice storm in the future. Been boring as heck out here this winter. 

Your last sentence rings extremely loud up here. :lol:  that looks to change. 

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic