Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

15 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I didn’t really notice any non-snow forms here, but there were a lot of needle snowflakes which are just awful for accumulation.

I had dendrites on Saturday evening and then Sunday evening.  Not sure overnight Saturday into Sunday.  But during daytime Sunday, it was mostly all needles and snowTV.  

• Like 1

This for me is my 3rd favorite storm since moving to this area in 2009. 

1. Feb 5-6, 2010

2. Jan 20-21, 2016

3. This

The reason I put this ahead of Feb 9-10 is because this one was a big reverse bust and broke a big streak of no good storms.  Even halfway through the storm we weren’t sure if it was over.  Last night around 7:45 walking the dog was one of my favorite jebwalks ever. 

**disclaimer, I was out of town for Dec 2009

• Like 1

7.5 total. Only 1.75 from round 2. I was about 15 miles too far south and east of the goods. In that several hour lull, I had sleet and freezing rain/drizzle. The round 2 bands set up about 40 miles north of what was modeled. As usual. Pretty uniform totals across PWC with 7 to 11 inches reported east to west. 

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Thanks don. That captures the forum split on this storm perfectly. 

Frustrating for those of us in here in the blue. Although I think that frustration was generally handled well. 

Probably the biggest forum splitter in terms of totals over such a short distance in our forum where a majority of forum cashed and a small area didn’t since I think the second Feb 2010 blizzard left @mattie g area behind in terms of totals. Maybe @C.A.P.E.‘s area in Jan. 2016 in the dry slot too.

fun storm to track though and at least no one got shut out.

It was nice to see DCA reach 10" for the first time since the January 22-23, 2016 mega snowstorm. Hopefully, all locations in the region will cash in with even larger amounts as the pattern continues to evolve toward a cold and potentially snowy one.

• Like 2

Oh my god guys, I have a pile of snow that is 3' high from shoveling. My son now has a tiny shovel that a neighbor gave me. I really got to meet all of my neighbors who helped a clueless person like me figure out how to deal with all the snow. This is great. Bonus pictures! 11.5" was my final snowfall amount.

SNOW IS AWESOME!

JXEZcPx.jpg

i1dyCZN.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Oh my god guys, I have a pile of snow that is 3' high from shoveling. My son now has a tiny shovel that a neighbor gave me. I really got to meet all of my neighbors who helped a clueless person like me figure out how to deal with all the snow. This is great. Bonus pictures! 11.5" was my final snowfall amount.

SNOW IS AWESOME!

JXEZcPx.jpg

i1dyCZN.jpg

Congrats, man!  Happy you finally got to experience a great storm.

6 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

we got into heavy bands for several hours yesterday afternoon.  at one point my visibility was down to 1/8 mile.

Wow.  I didn't get anything like that.  Hours of non accumulating  snizzle, until about 2pm.  Decent rates until about 330.  Picked up about an inch during that 90 min period.  After that it was just pixie dust until after 10 PM.  Picked up about another inch over those 7 hours.  Really poor ratio snow; it was like sweeping sand.  Pretty dense.

Remarkable for how long it snowed, but equally for how little I got.  The length of this storm (33 hours) nearly matched the '96 storm, but with vastly different results.

19 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

SNOW IS AWESOME!

JXEZcPx.jpg

i1dyCZN.jpg

I am super happy for you that you finally got to experience a legit snowstorm. There's nothing like it, in my view.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

SNOW IS AWESOME!

JXEZcPx.jpg

That's right...start 'em off early with doing the chores!  Uphill, both ways, with the sun in your eyes!  And like it! :lol:

But seriously...nice photos, and glad your first "real" snow event since being in this area was so fun!

(ETA:  I heard Jebman offers training courses in proper shoveling technique!)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

SNOW IS AWESOME!

Those are lifetime memories you are creating for your son.  Good job training him up in the ways that are good and right!!!

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic