Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

12 minutes ago, jayyy said:

This is INSANE to me. I 70 was like a brick wall. Reports of 10-12” all around ec, Columbia, etc And reports of 4-6” in NW Baltimore county. What a crazy gradient. 

Yep..east side of Baltimore county didn’t fare well today either. I can confirm no new accumulation today, in fact it didn’t even snow much all day even under radar returns. I have to assume dry air in some part of the atmosphere was a problem

And after 6,703 mid atlantic sub-forum posts related to this storm (threat threat+storm mode thread+this thread), this storm is wrapping up here in McLean with a little over 10 inches on the ground. What a fun storm to track

Would really be interested in hearing a post-mortem by one of the more experienced members of this sub. Talk about an overperformer-a couple days ago we were saying we'd consider ourselves lucky if we got 5 inches of snow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Yep..east side of Baltimore county didn’t fare well today either. I can confirm no new accumulation today, in fact it didn’t even snow much all day even under radar returns. I have to assume dry air in some part of the atmosphere was a problem

Sinking air to the east as a result of of intense rising air to your west. The storm’s location never allowed for the bands to pivot east. No worries. Well all hopefully cash in this weekend!!

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I’ve had storms where I got 10+ and DC ~2”. I can’t remember one where I got 10+ and as close as where got 10” today got that little. I’m sure he’s happened but not recently. 

March 30, 2014.

Not sure if you were in Carroll county that year, but the ridges got like 8-9" while a few miles away received next to nothing.

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

No kidding about that! Line would probably stop right at Baltimore City, lol

I-70 seems to be the line.  Just a few miles up the west loop of 695 made a massive difference between the haves and have-nots.

Oh well, still waiting for a big storm this winter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic