Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Went for a good Jebwalk in the wilds of suburban Ashburn...always so nice to explore, see how the landscape has been changed, and enjoy just how silent the blanket of snow has made everything.

I ended up doing more shoveling when I got back, since the plows had moved a mountain of snow just beyond the edge of my driveway while I was gone, and I knew it'd be a glacier come morning.

KpJw8oR.jpg

yzdpllC.jpg

Nwl77EY.jpg\

qrUb9QW.jpg

hWIAeQH.jpg

jOOKeRz.jpg

8KbGbnQ.jpg

Very shweet pics!!!!

That plow plowing you in nice and tight - THAT IS THE BEST PART OF THE STORM. Now, you go out and you get to enjoy digging even more of the snow! You pile it up even higher, and here's the best part of all: That snow is COMPACTED. Lovingly shovel every last flake and pile it all up north of some sun-blocking object, like your house. This is all bonus snow. Pile it high. When that reviled sun comes up tomorrow, you will be GLAD you did. You'll have fresh COMPACTED snow to feast your eyes on until the next storm, and you dont have long to wait. THAT storm is gonna be a doozy. Confidently fly your snow weenie freak flag and fly it well with a super overkill tall snow wall! Show everyone you know how to shovel snow! You will have the baddest snow wall in your entire 'hood!

• Like 4

Just measured 11.8 inches on the top of the car, 5 new since the heavy stuff started late afternoon. Seems to agree with other reports around me (Weather53, 1N four corners in the PNS). From the looks of radar we may be able to eke out those last few tenths to get over an inch.

BTW melted a core sample earlier today, ratio was probably 11:1 so not outrageously high. Will take another tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

To put the gentle frustration of the Baltimore city and north crew in perspective. It is 11 miles from my house to Ellicott City. 5.2 inches for my house, a little over double 11 miles away.

Ellicott City here as well near 108. Confirmed 11.25” of snow 

• Like 1

I can confirm @Ka60‘s 12.5” total. I asked my roommate (who HATES the snow) to go stick my 12” ruler into the snow on the back deck and let me know what the snowdepth was and she flatly said to me, “it disappeared, you’ll have to find it yourself when you get here tomorrow”.  LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, das said:

I can confirm @Ka60‘s 12.5” total. I asked my roommate (who HATES the snow) to go stick my 12” ruler into the snow on the back deck and let me know what the snowdepth was and she flatly said to me, “it disappeared, you’ll have to find it yourself when you get here tomorrow”.  LOL. 

That band just won't quit. Congrats, I only have around 7"

5 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Happened here last night twice! Frustrating to say the least. I think it happened in C'ville also.

Yes, it did. It was especially annoying because we were able to get flurries earlier yesterday with worse returns. That + some ice pellets + no overhead returns screwed the C'ville area today.

And as I mentioned above, continuing to lightly snow with no returns overhead now. Weird place.

3 minutes ago, das said:

At least she knows how to use it. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

The little engine that could. Just came home to 10.5” in Ashburn Village. So much for a dusting to 2”. Maybe I’ll retire on that note ;-). 

Looking forward to some of the autopsies on this storm, including yours. Seems like a lot of mets went pretty conservative, and this thing really performed. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GEOS5ftw said:

Just measured 11.8 inches on the top of the car, 5 new since the heavy stuff started late afternoon. Seems to agree with other reports around me (Weather53, 1N four corners in the PNS). From the looks of radar we may be able to eke out those last few tenths to get over an inch.

BTW melted a core sample earlier today, ratio was probably 11:1 so not outrageously high. Will take another tomorrow morning.

We're close. I'm on the norbeck side of Rockville and have 11.4. Still snowing and sticking. Lol. Silver spring/wheaton/rockville/derwood did very well. We all have about the same. Very memorable storm. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic