Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

4 minutes ago, SnowtoRain said:

Going to close the book on this one.  Final amount 4.2" for Easton.  Subsidence killed round 2 here in the middle eastern shore.

Same scenario, a punch to the gut up here for the second round.. but the potential storm next weekend eases it up a bit.

To be honest, as frustrating as it is to compare our 4-6 inches to the 8+ inches others are getting, I still would never call this storm a dissapointnent! For the majority of the week we were saying 1-3 inches was the best bet. Most of us made out better than that and had enough snow to shovel and go out and enjoy. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, snjókoma said:

There’s a small space between the bottom of the ruler and the 0 mark that’s about 0.2 inches long. Is it improper of me to adjust for that?

nah, I do that. if that's improper then disqualify me. We should buy better rulers though :lol:

I'm told the final total in my N Arlington backyard is 9". As much as I trust my family, I'll check NWS reports in the morning.

Still snowing at a fair clip in Charlottesville. Adding up those tenths.

Nice overachiever even up here.  Unofficial Jebwalk measurements of 7-7.5" on the ground and 2 1/2-2/34" from round 2.  Might squeeze out a bit more before it shuts off.  We've way overachieved in both the Nov 15 event and this....good start.

Should also mention the on the ground measurements are probably a little short on overall snowfall since we got nothing measurable during the day and some melting/compacting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

To be honest, as frustrating as it is to compare our 4-6 inches to the 8+ inches others are getting, I still would never call this storm a dissapointnent! For the majority of the week we were saying 1-3 inches was the best bet. Most of us made out better than that and had enough snow to shovel and go out and enjoy. 

Yeah, I mean...the snow greed in me wants to be jealous, but...just being able to go outside and be surrounded by it...(and using my shovel for the first time since 2016)...nice start to our prime climo! Can't wait to see what's on tap in the coming weeks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I agree.  We ended up with about 4.5" here.  Sure, it would have been nice to have more.  But we ended up doing better than I expected just a couple of days ago, and there was plenty of snow for sledding, snowball fights, etc.  And everything looks great. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

To put the gentle frustration of the Baltimore city and north crew in perspective. It is 11 miles from my house to Ellicott City. 5.2 inches for my house, a little over double 11 miles away.

You got double me so...lol. It was a bad weekend. Fringed. Eagles tough loss.  This was one of the worst gradients I can remember with 10” about 30 miles south of me and 2.5” here. Oh well. This will be one to just forget and move on to the epic pattern ahead. I feel happy for the DC area though. This should raise spirits in here at least. DC is one more decent storm away from beating climo now. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

According to radar the snow should be ending here soon, but it's going out with a bang--light and steady with large flakes.  This last batch looks like it added about 1"overall.  We lost about 2 hours of accumulation to sleet/freezing rain this afternoon.  Estimate a solid 6"+ fell here.  NWS calls for 5-9" turned out to be pretty accurate.  Great job on this forum tracking the potential for this storm.  Looking forward to verification of the pro-snow pattern in the coming weeks!

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

This was one of the worst gradients I can remember with 10” about 30 miles south of me and 2.5” here. 

I think I've seen worse gradients around here.  They're just usually sloped the other way.  ;)

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic