Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

4 minutes ago, RockabilyJunior said:

Don't worry. I'm under the dark blue on the bottom side of the Baltimore dot and what's fallen has only been enough to give a light dusting.

That might just be the most frustrating thing ever. You look at radar and see great rates right over you and then you look out the window to see flurries. 

• Like 1

Had a little melting/compaction earlier, but just measured 9.4 inches for the storm (SE DC - Fairlawn - Randle Highlands). That'll be my final measurement.

Wouldn't surprise me if I had over 10 inches overall without the slight melting that occured this afternoon before the coastal low got going.

28/27 - temp is dropping, as the glacier starts to form overnight.

11 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Man...I was feeling good about getting 4.5 inches out of this until I saw all of you up near 10. Are any of you near Baltimore? That would be the ultimate punch to the gut lol. 

It just didn’t work out for us this time. Hopefully next time we do better. I ended up 5.2. Frustrating given how close we were to much more, but also, could have been much worse in terms of far less snow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, real said:

National Airport has 9.8 as of an hour ago, per Capital Weather Gang. 

Ever since my move out of the Old Town heat island, that area has been doing oddly better compared to the western suburbs.

We got boned between bands this afternoon and evening... and we're almost surely done with about 7" OTG in Fairfax.

5 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

The Northern trend was real in this storm.  We thought Fredericksburg was the bullseye, and then just south of DC. And the short term models keeps moving a bit north. But just south really suffered from the mix and north and west did very well!  

Places like Dale City usually get 4 inches from a Jan storm. That's climo for Dale City. Dale City ended up with 7.3 inches which is amazing, considering climo, but also got in some great fzdz and sleet which will end up fortifying the snowpack against the hated sun. It will also offer up a funny spectacle as people stagger along on the ice like penguins as they try to walk out to get their newspapers. The communities to the north and west have much much better climo, it was no surprise they ended up with nearly a foot of fresh snow from this. Overall, a massively excellent snow for nearly the entire subforum. It is fitting the Rockville deathband annihilated every community it hit.

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It just didn’t work out for us this time. Hopefully next time we do better. I ended up 5.2. Frustrating given how close we were to much more, but also, could have been much worse in terms of far less snow.

That's true, the desire to have what's so close to us is frustrating, but putting it in perspective, this was still a success for us and hopefully the start of a very fun pattern. 

2 minutes ago, mikes923 said:

4 measurements in the same general area, seems like 10.5-11.5 is a good call around here 

Just outside of Main st. Ellicott City 

To put the gentle frustration of the Baltimore city and north crew in perspective. It is 11 miles from my house to Ellicott City. 5.2 inches for my house, a little over double 11 miles away.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

@Fozz

We are under the 2.5" contour which is pretty freaking  high for a mean esp January and for the Eps as well 

If that's a mean... then I have no words. And it's only 15 days. 

If anything even close to that happens, then today's disappointment will be a distant memory for those of us who didn't score this time.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic