Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Same. Just about at 8.5" here.

This MoCo band is awesome.

5JuIz8c.jpg

Wow!  What area of Germantown are you?  I am next to Milestone near 355 and 27, and have closer to 6 inches.

Just went around the corner to pick up a pizza and the roads are BAD again.  Moderate snow and 29.

12 minutes ago, heavy_wx said:

I think the snow detected by the radar is > 500 m above the ground, so with the N wind, it has moved several km south by the time it reaches the ground. I noticed this as the band approached me in North Laurel, where the precip didn't become all that intense until the center of the band was above me.

Maybe that's it, but I'm literally in the middle and actually more toward the end than the beginning of that band and it's still not doing much. Picked up slightly to maybe a steady light snow?

4 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Wow!  What area of Germantown are you?  I am next to Milestone near 355 and 27, and have closer to 6 inches.

Just went around the corner to pick up a pizza and the roads are BAD again.  Moderate snow and 29.

East of Daly Elementary.

I bet the roads are terrible right now. I have 6" on hard surfaces but there is a ton of compaction on them. 9" on anything that is insulated.

Finally getting the Loudon-Fairfax-DC-MoCo superband!  Big flakes and best rates of the storm.  Picked up around 520pm while I was shoveling/snowblowing.  Driveway covered again.

Measured 0.2" on the snowboard at 5pm for a storm total of 6.1".  I'm sure there's more than another 0.2" already in the last 20 minutes.  

• Like 5

On 1/12/2019 at 3:36 PM, Bob Chill said:

Models have all shown that accumulating snow wont happen until sometime after 5pm. Good stuff not till much later. Give it some time before worrying about mountains and such

You were right.  The snow did make it over 'dem mountains.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic