Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

17 minutes ago, Chase said:

Can you link me to the model you're using?  Thanks. 

right now we have strung out, intermittent bands.  We're going to get consolidation, and *hopefully* serviceable rates.  Here is HRRR composite at 5pm which looks nothing like current radar because it is going to back build and blossom...whats happening to the SW is sorta meaningless, though I suppose we can get some accumulation in some of the bands...

ETA - current bands better than I thought..would love to pile on before they rot

7AEQiUr.png

• Like 3

Up to 6.25"; a couple of the larger random measures were 6.4" or so. Dubious about how much more I'm going to get, since every promising band (at least according to the COD radar) seems to die off once it hits here. There was a promising snake of a band oriented along the Potomac that was headed my way a couple of ticks ago, but it seems to be expiring as well. 

This reminds me of Dec 5 2002 actually. Similar accumulation, I think that was primarily a nighttime event. Just in how it's playing out through my eyes, not any kind of meteorological analysis (which I'm not intellectually equipped to do anyway).  

Hopefully this is the opening act for Epicness: Snowmaggeadon Returns. 

Very, very cool phenomenon happening that should be of interest to snow enthusiasts. At 1 PM, it was pretty bright with temperatures a little below freezing 31.6 and moderate to heavy snow in the band, it struggled to accumulate on the road. Now at 2:30, with moderate snow and temperatures actually rising to 32, snow is accumulating on the road because of the loss in solar radiation in the past hour.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic