Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

Short Term Forecast

National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC

1211 PM EST

Sun Jan 13 2019

DCZ001-MDZ504-VAZ052>054-506-131900- District of Columbia-Central and Southeast Montgomery- Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-Fairfax- Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-Eastern Loudoun- Including the cities of Washington, Bethesda, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Dale City, Manassas, Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Montclair, Reston, Herndon, Annandale, Centreville, Chantilly, McLean, Franconia, Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Leesburg, Ashburn, and Sterling

1211 PM EST Sun Jan 13 2019

.NOW... A band of moderate to heavy snow is developing and moving into Washington DC and its southwestern suburbs. Visibility may be reduced to a quarter mile. Snowfall rates of a half to one inch per hour are possible. A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until midnight. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’m thinking 8-10” for DC is likely.  I’m at 6.2”. We’re in a great spot this afternoon/early evening.

Solid moderate snow now in Downtown DC.  Places north of U Street should do well. But It may just be a degree too warm in center city for streets to start caving again but we’lll see. Last night, streets north of U Street caved about 3 hours before streets south of U Street did. By 5 am, though, even downtown streets needed to be plowed.

Been out all morning sledding with my son. He is 18 and I am too old for that stuff :) 

Swept my board twice and have 5.3 inches so far for this event. Just light flurries out here now. I hope to pick up another inch with the ULL. But if I dont no big deal. This has been a much needed great event! And we have an EPIC pattern incoming. Congrats to you all to the east. Enjoy!

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Radar is filling in and moving our way again.  But melting?  It's early January and the temp is 28-30F.  #sunangleseason doesn't start until NEXT week.  

Not a ton of melt but definitely hearing some dripping, snow sliding off the grill cover, etc.

just got back from a nice little hike through cabin john.  outstanding scenery.  5.5" was about the average.

round 2 or 3 or whatever it is at this point looks very appealing at the moment.  not sure how far north and west is goes, but can't underestimate a mild atlantic.  should be interesting to see how much moisture can get thrown back here.

1 minute ago, Ji said:
4 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:
Just keep checking on our future HECS.  WE thought this one would be a couple of inches.  It's definitely better than that!

No we thought we would see accumulating snow this morning

You told your readers early this morning that they shouldn't be surprised if we lull during the morning but it should pick back up in the afternoon.  instead of bipolar I'm saying you are jipolar 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:
4 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:
Just keep checking on our future HECS.  WE thought this one would be a couple of inches.  It's definitely better than that!

No we thought we would see accumulating snow this morning

How much do you have?  It just picked up in Fairfax.  Big flakes...been light all morning.  Hope it gets to you!  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic