Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

2 minutes ago, Scraff said:

I’m a smidge over 5”. If we get coastal love and it cranks, I would think 5 more is doable?

Short-range models seem to give us another 2 to maybe 4 inches, but there is more than that shown just to our east in Anne Arundel. Also ratio dependent as well.

• Thanks 1

Snowing again moderately after a lull here. Just measured 4.5 inches on the deck.  Fluffy enough to sweep with a broom.   Near Greenspring Ave. just outside the city limits.  The plows have been down our street late last night and this morning, so that's good.  Thanks Baltimore County. 

am-snow-2-800x600.jpg

am-snow-800x600.jpg

• Like 3

Just saw the sun peak through which would normally suck during a snowstorm but it was still snowing which made it look pretty cool.  Clearly there’s some atmospheric reshuffling going on as the coastal takes over so hopefully it throws back enough moisture for the ull portion as the day progresses.

7 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Congrats to the dc crew. Happy for you guys.

Totals along the M/D line has been somewhat underwhelming.  Close to what had been advertised for most of the week , but yesterday's bump north on the models raised my bar a little. 

Yep, I’m measuring just over 2 inches right on the M/D. After we got bumped higher yesterday, this would definitely be a minor bust if this is it.

Just now, Steve25 said:

I'm north of Baltimore City and I'm still getting moderate snow with big flakes. I looked at radar a few hours ago and figured it was almost over. I must literally be right on the edge of the snow. 

We are in a lucky spot right now.  The radar looks good for us for at least another hour.  I expect alternating bursts like this and lulls throughout the day.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Your area is right within my forecast right now. Not a bust anywhere in the entire region as far as I can see. Maybe the MD line, but that's it. Sorry @psuhoffman :(

Lol I’ll survive. Bring fringed here is rare because with upslope from the 1000 ft ridges we get higher ratios and usually a mini qpf max so even if I was “fringed” at the synoptic level at the meso level I can take what would have been .15 qpf and bump it to .25 with upslope then go 20-1 ratio and boom 5”. That’s what happens a lot. But that all falls apart if I don’t get into good enough lift to get the ball rolling. This time the fringe was real because the northern most band set up just to my south and I was stuck in the subsidence of that a lot.  I think some places north of me did slightly better from the modest waa wave but I might have been hurt by the sinking around that band that dropped 4-5” just to my south. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic