Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

If by south of DC you mean 60 miles south, and by DE you mean the furthest possible SE corner, then yes. 

So just look at the maps.. this storm is busting a lot warmer, so it's going be more coastal for NE MD and southern NJ. Pretty significant for this short time period. There is room for a trend probably at 00z for more wrap-up coastal. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

First legit radar returns in wv panhandle. Expecting some excited obs from our western crew within the hour

Yeah. It is right on my doorstep now. Been VERY light snow for a few hours now. Only thing covered is my sons trampoline and the mulch. Real stuff about to happen.

9 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Steady, light snow here in Augusta County.  Approaching an inch, 30.9 degrees.  What do you all use for radar?  Looking for a better alternative to intellicast.

Hi WF. Sadly you aren't in a great location for radar. Blacksburg picks up some for you, and Sterling doesn't pick up well either. The box containing I-64/RT 220/RT33/I-81 could use some radar love. I know I am on the edge of the 'V' from Blacksburg that the beam gets partially blocked, VERY visible in light shallow snow events like lake effect streamers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Hi WF. Sadly you aren't in a great location for radar. Blacksburg picks up some for you, and Sterling doesn't pick up well either. The box containing I-64/RT 220/RT33/I-81 could use some radar love. I know I am on the edge of the 'V' from Blacksburg that the beam gets partially blocked, VERY visible in light shallow snow events like lake effect streamers.

I have long noticed the triangle of non coverage where I live.  Glad to meet another one who lives in the hole!

Just now, supernovasky said:

@Bob Chill I always defer to you in storms as you live close to me and have a lot of experience. How do things look for our backyards?

Unless things fall apart we should be a lock for 4"+. Somewhere around 6" high end. Just best guess based on all data. Over 6" is possible but everything needs to breal right and it usually doesnt

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

Still snowing nicely across the region at 00z MON (7pm SUN) per 18z NAM

it really is another very healthy run.  if it's right, then totals may need to be nudged up a little, but i'd side with the euro at this point.  plenty of energy to move through all day tomorrow.  could be a sunrise to sunset snow.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic