Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

Just now, Bob Chill said:

GFS made no friends in the upper levels. It's hard to distinguish between noise and trends though. 

Agreed. When we get close to game time we take a 25-50 mile switch in precip shield as a trend when in the grand scheme of things it's just noise. This was not a good run but let's wait to see 12z GEFS, GEPS and EPS before talking trends. 

Just now, MD Snow said:

Agreed. When we get close to game time we take a 25-50 mile switch in precip shield as a trend when in the grand scheme of things it's just noise. This was not a good run but let's wait to see 12z GEFS, GEPS and EPS before talking trends. 

We're awful close to just using ops now. Some of the storm is beyond 72 hours but the utility of ens will be over @ 12z today imho. 12z ops should be given the most weight. 

it's a pretty flat look.  the storm doesn't gain enough latitude and there's really nothing that keeps it from shooting ots.  gonna need everything to be further north, but 500 isn't inspiring at all.  at least we have temps on our side, so any scraps from the first part should stick.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

We're awful close to just using ops now. Some of the storm is beyond 72 hours but the utility of ens will be over @ 12z today imho. 12z ops should be given the most weight. 

So what would be your response if the 12z ensembles were split between a larger coastal solution for our area and a miss to the south like they have been showing? 

Just now, Scraff said:

That was ugly. A few drawn out inches on Snow TV?  Anyone worried that the mountains could start robbing us of even the WAA. The thought just crossed my mind. 

Good models should account for that as well as virga. Ops already show it with more precip west of the apps. 

• Like 2

Just now, Scraff said:

That was ugly. A few drawn out inches on Snow TV?  Anyone worried that the mountains could start robbing us of even the WAA. The thought just crossed my mind. 

Yeah things are not going in our favor right now. without the WAA (which is getting drier it seems), there won't be much to talk about once the coastal takes over. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

So I mean...We haven't deviated much from the general 2-4" that been the forecast all week, right? If that is still the most likely solution, we oughta count anything else as a bonus!

Yeah, and if 12z today puts the nail in the coffin on a warming event I’d rather know sooner than later.  Still somewhat encouraging the EPS hasn’t given up on the coastal completely yet. 

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

So I mean...We haven't deviated much from the general 2-4" that been the forecast all week, right? If that is still the most likely solution, we oughta count anything else as a bonus!

If something similar to the latest GFS solution plays out, I think we'd be lucky to see 2".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

So what would be your response if the 12z ensembles were split between a larger coastal solution for our area and a miss to the south like they have been showing? 

If the GEFS has a large majority showing more qpf and better progression then it's a sign that the op might be wrong but it needs to be overwhelming. If it's anywhere near an equal split then hedging with the op's version will win more battles. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If I only had this panel to go off of I wouldn't get excited. lol

gfs_z500_vort_us_15.png

It was an absolutely awful run if we were holding out hope for more then a very low end event from the WAA.  That system crashing into CA is a big problem...it undercuts the western ridge and links up with the elongating/compressing trough and helps to flatten it even more which pretty much kills any chance for the coastal to amplify.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic