Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Looking st the 6z Euro snow map(10:1) posted on that other site(per Tombo), looks like 4-6" from DC proper S and SW, same on the lower E shore and S DE, with 2-4" for the rest of the area.

hopefully its in catchup mode and more qpf increase is coming

33 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm counting on a mini qpf max over northern Carroll .:D

All joking aside I'm still  thinking 3-5" for our area w/ ratios 

Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed. I finally got a chance to look over the 6z stuff and after reading all the excitement here I was expecting good things but on the whole there was no improvement for us. Definitely bumped up qpf a lot to our south so if we get that to move north then it's great but if it stayed as is the 6z ribs don't give us anymore snow than the 0z did. Kinda a downer after hearing how good they were but good for D.C. doesnt mean good for northern MD lol. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I just want a little CCB love from the coastal- need a shift/expansion NW of maybe 25 miles here.

I think you have a great chance. Even up here I'm hanging my hat on this...very non scientific point...in all my years in both northern VA, MD and PA I've never ever been fringed by a storm that was fringing me at 36-48 hours out. They always shifted north enough to get me from right on the edge to into the goods. When I got fringed was when at 36 hours I was 75 miles out of it and it trended north 50 miles and fringed me. So just by that very basic biased interpretation we should be good here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed. I finally got a chance to look over the 6z stuff and after reading all the excitement here I was expecting good things but on the whole there was no improvement for us. Definitely bumped up qpf a lot to our south so if we get that to move north then it's great but if it stayed as is the 6z ribs don't give us anymore snow than the 0z did. Kinda a downer after hearing how good they were but good for D.C. doesnt mean good for northern MD lol. 

I looked as well, I am in the 0.2 at IMBY. Us Northern folks are suffering. 

I expect a slight improvement still , this is going down like last time in some respects but for other reasons already discussed. 

DC crowd should be happy. 

I was definitely feeling deb mode last night. Wake up to some improvements. Great to see euro catch on to them as well. I’ve been conditioned to expect worsening towards game time so it’s nice to see the opposite of that for once! Hopefully we can hold serve till tonight’s run then we’re pretty locked in

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think you have a great chance. Even up here I'm hanging my hat on this...very non scientific point...in all my years in both northern VA, MD and PA I've never ever been fringed by a storm that was fringing me at 36-48 hours out. They always shifted north enough to get me from right on the edge to into the goods. When I got fringed was when at 36 hours I was 75 miles out of it and it trended north 50 miles and fringed me. So just by that very basic biased interpretation we should be good here. 

Even as is you will probably get 5" from 0.25" QPF.

• Like 2

Climo always wins.  Ratios will help the northern Md, PSU crowd catch up despite lower QPF totals. In fact, unless dc sees heavy CCB, I’d bet PSUhoffman sees more snow than the White House lawn because of elevation and overall climo. 

Looking good for 3-5” area wide after that 6z suite for anybody south of the PA MD border. 

Hoping 12z continues the north / more amped trend 

2 hours ago, Wonderdog said:

I think we can squeeze 5 inches out in our area with good rates.  What do you think brother?

Wonderdog, you see that 6z Euro QPF distribution?  That is exactly where we, and the rest of PWC brotherhood, would want it.  Blue blob west of us point east like a crayon rocket ship.  We may not max out but we will be in the top tier for this event.  Not often that happens.  Less often its all snow.  Feeling good today...for now at least.      

• Like 1

Long time observer, new to replying. Just wanted to thank you all for the constant flow of information! I had a question, I use Tropical Tidbits for my weather models. It's free so it doesn't have access to all the models a lot of you have access to. I'm wondering what sites you use because I'm willing to pay to get an upgrade in that department. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Wonderdog, you see that 6z Euro QPF distribution?  That is exactly where we, and the rest of PWC brotherhood, would want it.  Blue blob west of us point east like a crayon rocket ship.  We may not max out but we will be in the top tier for this event.  Not often that happens.  Less often its all snow.  Feeling good today...for now at least.      

I feel the same way down here in Stafford, feeling pretty good. 6z Euro was a pleasant surprise this morning. My bar is still 3" which seems really likely, would like to get to warning criteria though for a second time this year.....

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Living in PWC for 25 years, rarely do I not worry about SLEET. East central PWC is the sleet capital of the world. During other all snow events, even at 300 feet asl, we get cruddy mangled flakes. It's not a good snow area. Never is this a max location. My concern is the over-running leaf drifts North into far Northern Virginia all of Maryland and into southern Pennsylvania and we miss out on the initial thump.

12 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Living in PWC for 25 years, rarely do I not worry about SLEET. East central PWC is the sleet capital of the world. During other all snow events, even at 300 feet asl, we get cruddy mangled flakes. It's not a good snow area. Never is this a max location. My concern is the over-running leaf drifts North into far Northern Virginia all of Maryland and into southern Pennsylvania and we miss out on the initial thump.

Perhaps but that would help psu and the northern crew.  I am cool with that.  It’s fun when the whole forum is snowing so the obs thread is like a house party.   Happens rarely everyone is all snow.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That's what happened last December in that little wave...I got 5" of the lightest fluffiest snow imaginable and the local coop reported like .24 qpf and I would be totally good with that again.

I saw Kuchera ratio was pretty high out your way. Hoping for that as well! We all need a win - even if it is not the biggest event, we want to maximize on all we get.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic