Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Around what time does the snow start for the region on the Euro? Asking because I’m going be on the road Saturday and want to get back in time. Looks like GFS mostly starts overnight into Sunday?

Hard to answer that.  My experience here has been later start than advertised.  I bet snow starts after dark and if Euro 18z is right finishes before sun rises on Sunday.  Not sure the long duration event is still on the table.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

People can talk or prove me wrong but i swear to you the GGEM was the first to blast me with the 12/9/18 event down this way and the other models followed suit. Never say never. It was spot on.

We will all find out soon enough.  2 inches is the floor for my backyard.  I think it will snow a bit.  That’s all I am confident in right now.  

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm not mad at the 18z euro. 2-4" event entirely from the waa piece. I hope that part is spot on. Waa snows are the easiest. It rolls on radar and starts snowing after the column saturates. 

Yup.  I think we can do well with the WAA piece with what all the 18z runs were showing.  Hope it continues with the 90z runs as well... but once again, 2 to 4 overall is an excellent start to the pattern change

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm not mad at the 18z euro. 2-4" event entirely from the waa piece. I hope that part is spot on. Waa snows are the easiest. It rolls on radar and starts snowing after the column saturates. 

If ground truth is 2” then that is a decent event.  You’re not skeptical that .2” QPF is going to translate to 2” of accumulation?

Again...a couple to few inches of cold powder at the beginning of a huge pattern change. Can’t be angry at that.

52 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

So the pattern changes just that quickly? It's been overperforming rain events constantly, now we are in the mid-1960s?

Because flux capacitors.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

If ground truth is 2” then that is a decent event.  You’re not skeptical that .2” QPF is going to translate to 2” of accumulation?

Why wouldn't it?  Ground will be cold enough... temps in the upper 20s... SRs around or lil better than 10:1... nighttime snowfall...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yoda said:

Yup.  I think we can do well with the WAA piece with what all the 18z runs were showing.  Hope it continues with the 90z runs as well... but once again, 2 to 4 overall is an excellent start to the pattern change

Yep, hoping at least 2-4" locks in with 0z runs. A disaster (imo) with this event is less than an inch. We seem locked in for precip but it's def within the realm to get less than an inch and that would suck. Apparently Ji's version of a disaster is less than 6". Or even less than 10"

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Amped said:

NAM developing a cluster of thunderstorms off the Carolina coast @ 48hrs into a low that no other model has until at least 12hrs later. Typical NAM.

Something gotta give, there's all this potential energy heading into a not yet completed pattern change. Maybe the pattern change later doesn't happen. (That would be my guess.)

That low in the Hudson Bay sucks out all the energy. If it truly is a -NAO/-AO pattern, it would have to do it now. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic