Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Look on the left hand column. This is a great sounding for high ratio snow. When the longest bars are in between the DGZ delineations it means great dendrite production. 

16 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

You want as much lift as possible concentrated within the DGZ as possible for as long as possible. 

Thanks to you both.  I never noticed that feature on skews before, is it only included during winter, or am I just oblivious?

• Like 1

Just now, BristowWx said:

I think you guys will do ok north of the city. Cold airmass and ideal position.  East on 64 toward Wmbrg things will be dicey however.  Just my take.  

I'm just south of the city. Expecting tons of ice/mixing in my backyard. Models are starting to come to an agreement that this could be another hit for RIC but DC seeing a good amount, too

3 minutes ago, TSG said:

When is the last time we had a similar positive trend so close to game time?  I've only been "tracking" since ~2012/13 but this to me is a remarkable 180 from yesterday/last night.

We have seen this both be beneficial as well as painful.. it is not as uncommon as you would think! Even the December Storm had a shift north. It is always a possibility and many times if you are on the north fringe of the best precip, it ends up shifting in the last 24 hours.. especially these North to South gradient systems.

But yes.. usually they kill chances and we are all left deflated.

Just now, Hyphnx said:

I'm just south of the city. Expecting tons of ice/mixing in my backyard. Models are starting to come to an agreement that this could be another hit for RIC but DC seeing a good amount, too

If you’re south of RIC, I’d maybe consider the Southeast forum. Otherwise, our rooting interests are likely to not align.

Just now, Hyphnx said:

Yes we will be all snow.  For that I am confident.  Rare for most of us both up here and down there.  

2 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

We have seen this both be beneficial as well as painful.. it is not as uncommon as you would think! Even the December Storm had a shift north. It is always a possibility and many times if you are on the north fringe of the best precip, it ends up shifting in the last 24 hours.. especially these North to South gradient systems.

The final hours north/south trend I'm familiar with. I'm more talking about the sudden increase in QPF. Last night I was hoping DC would get 0.2-0.3... Now that seems like a slam dunk and probably closer to the bust scenario.

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

What appears to be happening is the storm is stronger and increasing the amount of precipitation across the area.  To infer the storm is moving north is incorrect.  If anything the northern extent of the precipitation shield has moved south.

• Confused 1

Just now, StantonParkHoya said:

If you’re south of RIC, I’d maybe consider the Southeast forum. Otherwise, our rooting interests are likely to not align.

Agree with that.  Nothing against those south of RIC but if you think about it you would be to that forum what psu, mappy, sparky, land the others way north are to this one.  Not a bad place to be. Richmond is the Manchester of the SE forum. 

6 minutes ago, TSG said:

When is the last time we had a similar positive trend so close to game time?  I've only been "tracking" since ~2012/13 but this to me is a remarkable 180 from yesterday/last night.

This feels like the January 2010 storm to me.  Very cold, high ratio snow.  Trend north at the last minute put DC/NOVA in WSW snowfall.  Came on the front end of the pattern change that brought significant blocking and two HECS to the region.  This feels similar.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

This feels like the January 2010 storm to me.  Very cold, high ratio snow.  Trend north at the last minute put DC/NOVA in WSW snowfall.  Came on the front end of the pattern change that brought significant blocking and two HECS to the region.  This feels similar.  

I was thinking the same thing, lived in Arlington for that one (and that winter) it was so awesome in DC that Saturday. Cold smoke, high ratios......hoping we are somewhat similar in this storm and then what happened afterward, liking the late bump in QPF across pretty much all guidance.......

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, annapolismike said:

What appears to be happening is the storm is stronger and increasing the amount of precipitation across the area.  To infer the storm is moving north is incorrect.  If anything the northern extent of the precipitation shield has moved south.

The coastal low is forming further north and west than previous runs. Being tucked closer to the coast is enhancing precip. The northern extent has moved south but that's because the confluence is coming in stronger than progged. Basically, the storm is getting compressed with slp further north and all of this has been to the benefit of our region.  Good times.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

Coastal gets going a bit further south so less love up this way. Gives RIC or just north reason to rejoice a bit.

The whole thing looks better. The lower totals north are just a result of banding. I like the increases south and east.

Look at the uptick in totals near St. Louis and east of there in the last 12 hours. It’s showing over a foot in areas it showed 7 or 8 inches for 12 hours ago.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic