Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

It's also got the DCA snow hole :)

I make no apologies for my climo. I commute an extra hour every day for my 20 extra inches of snow a year and 10 degree cooler days in the summer. 

Gfs and Icon so far have put the nam crisis to bed.  At this point the coastal idea seems dead but maybe a slightly better trend in the waa and we could still see 3-5" in spots. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

The position of the high seems much farther north than most blocked coastals we experience.  Could we infer a shift farther north due to the high being so far north?

See my post above. The high isn't the problem. Confluence isn't the problem. Compression of the upper level flow is the pricked. 

1 minute ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

The position of the high seems much farther north than most blocked coastals we experience.  Could we infer farther north due to the high being so far north?

It's not the hp location. Look at 500mb isobars. Strong confluence with the 2 streams bumping into each other. Upper level flow is due east. It could bump north 50 miles at this point but not too much more imho

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I make no apologies for my climo. I commute an extra hour every day for my 20 extra inches of snow a year and 10 degree cooler days in the summer. 

Gfs and Icon so far have put the nam crisis to bed.  At this point the coastal idea seems dead but maybe a slightly better trend in the waa and we could still see 3-5" in spots. 

Me too brother. I choose to live all the way out here in the middle of nowhere so I can score 4 inches instead of 2 in events like this :)

Guys NAM and GFS are absolutely compromised by this shutdown. My buddy at NWS confirmed this fact. 
He said to blend the Canadian and Ukie for the consensus. He’s thinking 3-6” area wide for Maryland and dc proper. 8” lollipops in central va

The numerical models are not compromised. We’ve received all the data necessary to run efficiently and the 0 and 12z RAOB recaps have actually shown fewer sites with issues which means data ingestion has been best it’s been in a while. Idk where your friend heard this, but it’s not true.

• Like 5

Just now, Bob Chill said:

It's not the hp location. Look at 500mb isobars. Strong confluence with the 2 streams bumping into each other. Upper level flow is due east. It could bump north 50 miles at this point but not too much more imho

People think it's the NS. Yea it's part that in so much as the combination of the dominant low to the northeast and the system crashing into the west coast is compressing the whole trough and flattening it. But it's the suppression of the whole h5 trough that's washing out the system not the flow to the northeast. If this system was amped up we would be fine 

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree with the rest. 2-4 possibly 3-6 seems realistic. Great way to end the snow drought. And an amazing start to an incredible pattern coming up for the next month or so.

Quite possibly the next two months. We have an amazing pattern coming up, and the good thing is, after this coming week I'll have a lot more free time. I'm really looking forward to this.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic