Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It almost seems like the stronger confluence is helping with the waa leaf. Since it isnt as dispersed to the north like runs yesterday, it appears to be more concentrated as it bumps agaist the wall. Maybe its better lift in combination with more juice.

It might be. HM has mentioned this on Twitter. And if it moves through the region from S to N, we all get some of it. Hoping it drops a fairly uniform 2” and then we see what happens with coastal enhancement.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It might be. HM has mentioned this on Twitter. And if it moves through the region from S to N, we all get some of it. Hoping it drops a fairly uniform 2” and then we see what happens with coastal enhancement.

Or...the best rates could stall in N MD as the factory does it's thing to our north.... :D

It almost seems like the stronger confluence is helping with the waa leaf. Since it isnt as dispersed to the north like runs yesterday, it appears to be more concentrated as it bumps agaist the wall. Maybe its better lift in combination with more juice.

This is the reason I’m not ruling out a secondary max somewhere to the north. Preferably Parr’s Ridge area since there’s an orographic enhancement element involved and the fact it happens 90% of the time

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

This is the reason I’m not ruling out a secondary max somewhere to the north. Preferably Parr’s Ridge area since there’s an orographic enhancement element involved and the fact it happens 90% of the time

I just checked some soundings. You might be right. SE surface winds at onset then east then NE. That's a pretty good combo for all the usual suspects. Basically anyone above 500'. Could also spell trouble for the fdk valley tho...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

It will never be pretty Robert Chill.  The best we can hope for is some coastal loving before it scrams. 

If it's any consolation... i just looked at soundings all over the place and dc looks pretty good for snow growth through the whole event. Better than my yard. Enjoy your fluffy dendrites. Areas south of dc look really good. Should be postcard scenes down there.

• Like 4

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Agree...I'm thinking .30" - .40" here (3-5" ). I personally believe this system will be juicer coming in at game time . Along with that I think a couple mini qpf maxes will be realized with banding features  in the WAA . Coastal enhancement would be bonus

Looks like you and mappy and psu are un for some fun.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I just checked some soundings. You might be right. SE surface winds at onset then east then NE. That's a pretty good combo for all the usual suspects. Basically anyone above 500'. Could also spell trouble for the fdk valley tho...

No doubt. The enhancement and higher totals in the catoctins just to the west and northwest of the fdk valley has been consistently modeled for days now. 

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

18z has been kind.  An hour until the Euro hopefully continues that.

Agree. 12z tomorrow will probably nail down the waa leaf. Should be fairly well organized by then. One of the things saving this event for us is waa precip to our west has shifted to wetter and better organized. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I really like the qpf disbursement on the fv3. Much better for MD than 12z. My yard most importantly 

fv3p_apcpn_neus_17.png

That's a nice run with blues in my front yard...my back yard is still in green though.  One or two more pushes

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Shouldn't even be posting ens output anymore but this is the first gefs with little spread. Noticeable improvement from 12z. Looks like we're locking in 2-6" areawide with some 6+ jacks for some lucky folks

LMDOiUF.png

Not a lot of disasters in there either.  90% of those would make most of us pretty happy. 

Just want to say that the posting in this thread has been really good today. I had a long day at work and was unable to look at any models all day today. Was nice to be able to come right in here and get caught up. I really like the look of the Canadian models at 18Z. The RGEM has been on a bad streak lately. I hope it has fixed itself and is correct for once. The other thing I noticed on the runs throughout the day is that the precip seems to be pretty much locked in as a 3-6 event for the majority of our area. It has been a long time since we have had a region wide 3-6 event without any temp issues. Really looking forward to this storm.

• Like 8

Just want to say that the posting in this thread has been really good today. I had a long day at work and was unable to look at any models all day today. Was nice to be able to come right in here and get caught up. I really like the look of the Canadian models at 18Z. The RGEM has been on a bad streak lately. I hope it has fixed itself and is correct for once. The other thing I noticed on the runs throughout the day is that the precip seems to be pretty much locked in as a 3-6 event for the majority of our area. It has been a long time since we have had a region wide 3-6 event without any temp issues. Really looking forward to this storm.

Not that I fully disagree that the RGEM/HDERPS/CMC are bad models, but they (and the NAMs) did the best with the early December storm in Central VA. As someone mentioned earlier, the whole suite does like to over-estimate the northern extent of precip. Otherwise their performance in December impressed me.

Totally agree with the rest. A winner region wide? Amazing. We need this.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic