Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

8 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

I'm confused as to why DC would experience any UHI effect in this scenario given temps in the mid-20s? Why would that limit our snow total?

I went to College Park a little while ago, and even when it was under 25 degrees (1/30/2010), the snow was melting on contact on the sidewalks. Some spots really do have a terrible heat island.

6 minutes ago, peribonca said:

What I like seeing so far on the 18 z models is the WAA coming in stronger and less into PA.

RGEM has a much more impressive precip shield at H54 than the NAM does, although it does seem to be a bias of that model (overestimating precip in dry air - in the 12/9 storm it had the furthest north, and most gradual cutoff). It will be interesting to have the HRDPS in range tomorrow - according to cae it did the best of the meso models for that storm with the cutoff.

42 minutes ago, Chase said:

LWX also modified how they will do the Winter Weather Outlook for the week... interesting dividing lines.

The Shenandoah Valley in me also resents being named the "Piedmont."

D3_WinterThreat.png

Nice for weenies, but I hope that's not their primary way of alerting the public.  Way too complicated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GEOS5ftw said:

RGEM has a much more impressive precip shield at H54 than the NAM does, although it does seem to be a bias of that model (overestimating precip in dry air - in the 12/9 storm it had the furthest north, and most gradual cutoff). It will be interesting to have the HRDPS in range tomorrow - according to cae it did the best of the meso models for that storm with the cutoff.

With this look you would think "we can't miss" lol

IMG_8268.thumb.PNG.ce1582f5b59308da08368101ddad9d86.PNG

I will say there are improvements at h5 with a bit better orientation and less squashing, in addition to the confluence not pressing down as much in NE. There was a decent step towards some coastal impacts around DC and those south. 

If we can get psu's fabled 50 mile north shift, the gfs would look very much like the CMC/some of the EPS members. 

9 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Great sign to see higher snow totals in the Ohio valley. The precip is hanging on longer as it moves east. Should help us with the WAA snow.

Here's the 12z and 18z to compare.

Agreed...The more moisture slug we can get up into the OHV the better we should do being further west.  I have found that these WAA event moving from W--->E do pretty well around here.  The mountains will do there thing but I can envision a 12-15:1 event out here with .35" qpf.  Would = a nice event imo.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic