Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

If it plays out this way this is a pretty big bust for the GFS/GEFS.  They were spitting out weenie runs until 6z today.  I guess maybe the fact that no one is calibrating/checking data had an impact. 

The gefs was spitting out big solutions in the mix but the op didn't agree with that at all. When that happens at these shorter leads it's best to side with the op (if it's being consistent). 

ETA: 6z op was impressive but the more consistent solution was a weaker/less qpf event. 

My point earlier (which I thought was a clever one but got deleted, god forbid one makes analogy during storm mode) was that model inconsistency aside it is best to use our climo analogs to determine events like this. Not just discrete analogs. So, its a little dissapeointng to see such a removal of the coastal aspect from the gefs and the op. The cmc seems out to lunch but euro weighs in momentarily. 

• Like 1

Posted on Tuesday that the H5 pattern in no way supports such an event. Ridge out west weakens and the trough shears and stretches. Not favorable to transfer to a coastal, plus strong Canadian high to our north will wedge plenty of subsidence and dry air to where even what the model is sampling may only be virga.

I’m sticking to my guns and not moving from a slider south of us as any low near the coast is starved of energy and does not come north or west enough to mean much for the I-95 and suburbs. Some WAA out ahead may generate a dusting to 1”, 2 at best but that’s all on this one. 

Personally, I’m heading to Snowshoe to ski and catch the upslope WAA to get the high end advisory snow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

If it plays out this way this is a pretty big bust for the GFS/GEFS.  They were spitting out weenie runs until 6z today.  I guess maybe the fact that no one is calibrating/checking data had an impact. 

It is a bummer for the GEFS, the clusters near the coast it had are now displaced far to the ESE.   

1 minute ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Posted on Tuesday that the H5 pattern in no way supports such an event. Ridge out west weakens and the trough shears and stretches. Not favorable to transfer to a coastal, plus strong Canadian high to our north will wedge plenty of subsidence and dry air to where even what the model is sampling may only be virga.

I’m sticking to my guns and not moving from a slider south of us as any low near the coast is starved of energy and does not come north or west enough to mean much for the I-95 and suburbs. Some WAA out ahead may generate a dusting to 1”, 2 at best but that’s all on this one. 

Personally, I’m heading to Snowshoe to ski and catch the upslope WAA to get the high end advisory snow. 

That's well played

Southern slider was always most likely outcome if you followed the H5 progression. Never quite got to where we needed it now models are coming around

Mappy owes you an apology. She used one model run 2 days ago to troll you when you said your opinion was unchanged just because one run of the GFS showed an amped scenario. Good job sticking to your original analysis. Probably will turn out right

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Slight differences in timing and evolution but I'm not sure you can say anything meaningful changed on the run. I guess you could say the CCB (light) is closer as the low exits but overall it's a 1-4" event through most of the region. 

Does it brush the southern part of our area? Can't see maps at work, EURO last night spit out about 4-5" around EZF, seems high given other model data.

Edit: Posted this before I saw your Total QPF response, thanks

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I left my translator at home but I think he was kinda saying what I was discussing with showme  and bob earlier about our bigger problem here being the upstream issues out west regarding the low crashing into CA undercutting and the compression of the trough and not the suppression to our north. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

My point earlier (which I thought was a clever one but got deleted, god forbid one makes analogy during storm mode) was that model inconsistency aside it is best to use our climo analogs to determine events like this. Not just discrete analogs. So, its a little dissapeointng to see such a removal of the coastal aspect from the gefs and the op. The cmc seems out to lunch but euro weighs in momentarily. 

your post was deleted because it could have easily been off topic and banter. no one cares about you dating a girl you think is a 6, to a 9, then being dumped and wanting a 9 -- stick to weather

6 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

That's well played

Southern slider was always most likely outcome if you followed the H5 progression. Never quite got to where we needed it now models are coming around

Mappy owes you an apology. She used one model run 2 days ago to troll you when you said your opinion was unchanged just because one run of the GFS showed an amped scenario. Good job sticking to your original analysis. Probably will turn out right

i owe no one an apology. last i checked the storm hasnt happened yet. but continue to stir the pot and see where it gets you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

EURO snow map looks good around EZF. 7" at 10/1 and 9" on Kuchera......my over under is 3" feel decent about that seeing the EURO. It doesn't seem this will be quite as a razor sharp edge as 12/9 so 2-4" up toward DCA and Southern close in burbs seems pretty good. Gonna feel wintry which is great after the last 5 weeks....

We're not totally out of it with coastal enhancement. South and east obviously in the better spot but the euro slowed things down 6 hours during the handoff so the weak CCB improved and moved closer because the buzzsaw was slightly better. For most of the area, all guidance remains locked in .1 - .4 for the immediate DC area and north. No signs of a whiff yet. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We're not totally out of it with coastal enhancement. South and east obviously in the better spot but the euro slowed things down 6 hours during the handoff so the weak CCB improved and moved closer because the buzzsaw was slightly better. For most of the area, all guidance remains locked in .1 - .4 for the immediate DC area and north. No signs of a whiff yet. 

One thing that could argue for an improvement with qpf late is the guidance continues to juice up to our west and bring that further east each run before just killing it. Perhaps that trend continues and it doesn't shear out as much as predicted. Grasping at straws here. 

Another tidbit on the euro to note is the increase in WAA precip to our due west. It was a noticeable increase and indicates the waa leaf is stronger on this run. Of course the apps will do their damage etc but look at the differences between 0z and 12z in Garrett CO/NE WV. 

Yet2qWp.jpg

WrWeXNH.jpg

If we aren't going to get any help from the coastal we need to root for the best case scenario with the front running waa leaf. 

• Like 5

The Euro qpf and snow map looks in line with what my expectations have been with this storm. It always had the feel of a 2-4" storm for most of us. If we wanted to use a CWG range 1-6" seems reasonable more south obviously. No signs of a blah blah blah blah whiff yet :hurrbear:

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic