Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Very quick rundown of the common acronyms we use all the time. This should help anyone who is afraid to ask but wants to know. 

WAA: warm air advection precip happens on front side of approaching low pressure. Look at mid level 850 wind panels and it makes sense. Winds are always southerly but most commonly southwesterly. Hence the name "warm air" because it's coming from the south. 

CCB: cold conveyor belt. This is on the backside of low pressure. Usually cold/dry/fluffy snow. Again, look at the the mid level 850 wind panels. During CCB mid level winds will be out of the north/northeast/northwest. This draws down colder air and is also where our highest ration snow comes from.

DGZ: is the level of the atmosphere where snowflakes are produced. Sometimes this can suck and we get sand/needles/dust and other times it can be beautiful big fluffy dendrites. This is also a complicated topic so I'm not going to even remotely explain why some storms are good and others bad. 

Thank you. Was going to ask at some point

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

I think the worry is that we are moving away from a light event and towards a whiff.  That’s not the model consensus but after the last few winters peioke are scared!

I think we are lasering in on a 1-3/2-4 more than moving towards a whiff. We can whiff anytime but every good model has our area in the .1 - .4 qpf range with consistency. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yoda said:

THIS

If you are upset over this... I don't know what to tell you

I was tempted to lean 3-6 before 0z last night but the runs capped the upside decisively. My yard bar is 2". Less than that would be a disappointment but even 1" would destroy all other events so far in met winter. Plus this event is the only action in the east to I guess I should feel lucky my yard is even part of it. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I was tempted to lean 3-6 before 0z last night but the runs capped the upside decisively. My yard bar is 2". Less than that would be a disappointment but even 1" would destroy all other events so far in met winter. Plus this event is the only action in the east to I guess I should feel lucky my yard is even part of it. 

1-2 has been my bar. Was nice to see a couple GFS runs with 6-8 in my yard, and the crappy CMC still looks good but it will correct late as always. This is just a tough pattern for a coastal to get going and gain enough latitude in time to get most of us into the CCB. Still could happen, but looking less likely.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

1-2 has been my bar. Was nice to see a couple GFS runs with 6-8 in my yard, and the crappy CMC still looks good but it will correct late as always. This is just a tough pattern for a coastal to get going and gain enough latitude in time to get most of us into the CCB. Still could happen, but looking less likely.

I feel like mowing my lawn on the shortest setting today so 1" completely covers the grass. I'll still shovel all the snow out of my neighbors yards in the middle of the night to make up any shortfall. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, yoda said:

THIS

If you are upset over this... I don't know what to tell you

You’re 100% right that in a bad winter and after the pac puke pattern that a 1-3  or 2-4 deal will be refreshing given we also have better prospects going forward. That said, I think it’s reasonable to have some level of disappointment with the runs today. The gefs was great for the December storm and some of us in here were hopeful it could be as reliable for this storm. Moreover, the 6z was really bullish. That kind of change in 6 hours is not fun. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I feel like mowing my lawn on the shortest setting today so 1" completely covers the grass. I'll still shovel all the snow out of my neighbors yards in the middle of the night to make up any shortfall. 

I might lower my bar to an inch. I can totally see my yard being a bit too far SE for the good WAA stuff, and then get fringed by the coastal. I am sure lower DE will get in on some 1-2" per hr bands though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

I know some need a huge storm every time, but I am perfectly okay with a 2-4” lollipop 5-6” type of storm to whiten the ground for the main event around 1/21

You should be perfectly okay with an inch or 2 with maybe a lolli of 3. If you were being realistic, that is.

This will be a fascinating end result....the evolution of this thing seems so familiar. Models sniff out a potential...a little bit of early on waffling then some nice solutions but not a general consensus as a model or two remains stubborn. Models flip as in good ones go bad and bad ones go good...then a couple of boom runs and we get excited...then the slow shift away to a less than happy solution but in reality was a solution that was shown at some point earlier...seems to be a pattern

• Thanks 1

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

This will be a fascinating end result....the evolution of this thing seems so familiar. Models sniff out a potential...a little bit of early on waffling then some nice solutions but not a general consensus as a model or two remains stubborn. Models flip as in good ones go bad and bad ones go good...then a couple of boom runs and we get excited...then the slow shift away to a less than happy solution but in reality was a solution that was shown at some point earlier...seems to be a pattern

Sums up like 80% of our events. lol. Going with the lower end of guidance has a very good win rate.

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

maybe you missed the part where on the day of, there are some surprises. Happens nearly every event and we saw it with that earlier event where VA jackpotted.

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Something tells me that pattern might be breaking after this threat...gotta keep in mind that at the moment, the overall pattern is still kinda progressive! (But again, sounds like that could be in the midst of changing!)

Just saw the 6 hour UK panels and yea it pretty much totally skunks us from 72 on, all the precip DC area north is from the WAA wave in front...all the precip after that is well south and east of DC.  But it did have a better initial wave.  That is probably all we have left now to root for, the idea of a re-amplifying coastal is pretty dead ATT.  We need that initial WAA wave to be as healthy as possible because that is probably all we got.  

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic