Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12th-13th event

Orangeburgwx

21 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

Maybe Grit can chime in on how the CMC is doing with verification scores?

I'm thinking go with a blend.  CMC may be a little cold and some other modeling may be a little warm.  One thing that seems off to me is how some of the modeling wants to warm the surface as the precip is rolling thru on NE winds and damming. 

Regarding the storm wave, we haven't seen a trend over the last few cycles of it amp-ing up more and climbing north.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FallsLake said:

CMC looks to hold it's ground for a major ice storm for up state to Charlotte to Raleigh. It anything it's a little colder at the surface than the past run. **first time it's trended back colder

Looks like the CMC stands alone with this extreme. I would not discount it just yet. I have seen the CMC handle CAD well in North Carolina. It will be interesting to see the NAM on the later runs. 

4 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

I don’t know.  I guess it depends what you mean by good, but the Triad and NW Piedmont outside the mountains tend to reel in at least two to three decent snow events each season.

I suppose opinions vary on what constitutes a decent snow event, but it's funny how that works. I'm 20 miles down the road from Boone, and the Triad usually outperforms us every year. In my experience we get one good (>4") event every 2-4 years, yet most years go by without so much as a dusting.

27 minutes ago, kelani said:

I suppose opinions vary on what constitutes a decent snow event, but it's funny how that works. I'm 20 miles down the road from Boone, and the Triad usually outperforms us every year. In my experience we get one good (>4") event every 2-4 years, yet most years go by without so much as a dusting.

That probably has to do with A) missing all NW flow events and dealing with downsloping in shadow of mtns & B> being to far west at times to get fringed by the coastals . Like the crusher it literally stopped at the Guilford/Forsyth county line. All coastals are different but that's just one example.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SVA_SN said:

Nasty ice storm for far nw nc and southern va on the 18z nam. Widespread .5 - .75" ice totals. I hope some of that will be sleet to cut back on those numbers if what the nam is showing comes to fruition. 

Would like to see a snow like your member page shows. When was that storm?

5 minutes ago, SVA_SN said:

Nasty ice storm for far nw nc and southern va on the 18z nam. Widespread .5 - .75" ice totals. I hope some of that will be sleet to cut back on those numbers if what the nam is showing comes to fruition. 

Actually looks like SW VA actually escapes the worst icing as ground zero this run looks to be western 1/3 of N.C.