Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12th-13th event

Orangeburgwx

7 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

The GFS, which has been historically awful the past seven days, is changing peoples minds? Are y’all drunk? I understand pessimism but this is a bit much. 

Not me.  The 12z euro move and supporting ensembles moved more away (relative to mby) from the previous 0z solution

13 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Dont focus on the letter H. Look at the 1st semicircle thats closed off. It expands contracts,that letter moves around,but the center point is almost in same location. 

Just an opinion but since the pattern change has not taken place yet and it’s been warm from the SSW I wonder if models are still having issues trying to figure out the cold is coming?

Of course we know from past experience models have problems even without the SSW. 

20 minutes ago, Isopycnic said:

We definitely do better than raleigh area. 

Living in Durham, working in RTP and having coworkers from as far as Holly Springs made the last snow pretty awkward. Especially with the extra snow on Monday. (Coworkers who got rain don’t want to see pics of your eight inches of fluff in the back yard.)

• Like 1

So if the storm ends up more north as depicted on the GFS and even the euro(from today's run), I think the question is; do we develop more CAD and consequently more southward expansion of ice. It will be interesting to see the next model runs...Tomorrow we'll start getting into the NAM range. Historically it has done well with CAD setups, but I'm not sure if it's dependable right now.  

11 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

So if the storm ends up more north as depicted on the GFS and even the euro(from today's run), I think the question is; do we develop more CAD and consequently more southward expansion of ice. It will be interesting to see the next model runs...Tomorrow we'll start getting into the NAM range. Historically it has done well with CAD setups, but I'm not sure if it's dependable right now.  

Good points.... and the answer is we don't know how reliable the NAM will be. I am more apt to trust the Euro in this case. Time will tell...

18 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I was looking forward to a few inches and excepting some mix keeping a lid on it at that. Then getting ready for more opportunities coming up as soon as this exit stage right.

But today Im getting an uneasy vibe an warry of a potential significant freezing rain event. .5-.75+ frezing rain is on the table now.

Just now, NCSNOW said:

I was looking forward to a few inches and excepting some mix keeping a lid on it at that. Then getting ready for more opportunities coming up as soon as this exit stage right.

But today Im getting an uneasy vibe an warry of a potential significant freezing rain event. .5-.75+ frezing rain os on the table now.

Yeah, a lot of us are in that same boat. Let's get this storm to trend just a little colder so we have sleet and not the ice storm we are looking at now. GFS has my location below freezing for the entire event despite the north trends of today.

13 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

How does the 18z EPS look? Does anyone on here have access to it?

18z EPS - was just looking at it.  The wave was a little stronger, but more positive tilt.  End result is the mid level temps were a little warmer, but the sfc temps held east of the mtns.  Sfc low reflection more north in TN (inverted trough) and warmer temps there.  Precip amounts thru midday Monday was slightly less for our subforum (likely due to more positive tilt of the wave).  Saturday evening the EPS has GSP to CLT to RDU to east of Richmond locked in near freezing at the sfc on the last 2 runs...colder to the northwest. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Thing is you know surface temps are gonna trend colder as we get closer. Globals never catch the cad,  forecast it correctly. I doubt very seriously triad and alot of areas ever get to 32 during precip. Should be getting a peek by this time tommorow with nam.

The tricky thing is that the globals may not be quite cold enough at the sfc, but if the storm trends a little north as is typical, it ends up being a wash.

13 minutes ago, griteater said:

The tricky thing is that the globals may not be quite cold enough at the sfc, but if the storm trends a little north as is typical, it ends up being a wash.

Yep, we don't have the crazy confluence like in December, and this thing keeps getting amped and it's still 5 days away.