Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm!? Jan 12-13th, 2019

cyclone77

8 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

18z NAM came in way hot/amplified with the southern plains wave compared to other guidance valid at 6z Saturday. 850mb low stronger/further north as well and a stronger LLJ is able to throw that moisture/precip much further north. 

Probably a mirage. 

Lost count how many times in the past that was said only for the NAM to verify.

I fully expect to get nam'd at some point in the next 3 days of runs.   You know we're going to get one of those crazy runs with 15" of snow.    

Nice move on the euro today wrt precip.   It's not really that much of a better set up than previous runs, it just manages to put down more precip.   Might have to do with duration more than anything.  It has light snow falling for like 24-30 hours.

I think 2-4 with our first WWA of the season for snow is a pretty decent bet right now.   

• Like 1

Just now, Angrysummons said:

This can't cut buckeye. Its getting squished by the wavelengths. Lack of moisture transport because the low is pretty far south is the bigger problem.

that's what I said ....  no danger of WTOD.   Improvements in snowfall would be a result of a stronger inverted trough and slower speed.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

So saw this 18z FV3 QPF map posted. It seems to be in the NAM camp with a large 1.00" QPF area meaning likely a large 10"+ snow area.

gfs_namer_123_precip_ptot.gif.07c675a20569142b39351c1376b65c81.gif

Now we need that blue spot to hike a few hundred north so it sits over Chicagoland :)

Just kidding. We already had our fun. It's time for others to get their turn too. 

• Like 2

I'm still waiting to get inside 72.  Except for the big dog in the SE this year model accuracy has sucked outside 3 days, even 2.  Climo wise us folks in the central parts of IL/IN/OH are just now entering our statistical  "winter" when it comes to snow so if this pans out I'll take it as a good sign :whistle:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I'm still waiting to get inside 72.  Except for the big dog in the SE this year model accuracy has sucked outside 3 days, even 2.  Climo wise us folks in the central parts of IL/IN/OH are just now entering our statistical  "winter" when it comes to snow so if this pans out I'll take it as a good sign :whistle:

This!

Currently have flurries in my grid. Sigh at 2 storms just north and now a potential sliding just south. Nino's are the worst!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I'm just glad there's something to look forward to. The pattern change is coming

7 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Man 0z nam is really something. Is it on crack or into something? It isn't in it's good range so not sure I believe it's very amped/moisture laden solution. But man this would be awesome. Large area of warning criteria snow

NAM back at the beginning of the snowy November was taking all the other models to wood shed. Then it lost it's rhythm. Be nice if "it's back"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Atleast with this system we won’t have to worry about rain like we have for the very few wintry storms we’ve had, unless you’re further south 

Ha true.  We actually get to consider ratios this time, which is like the first time in a month and a half lol.  

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Ahhh, love me some amped up NAM runs.  It's like sort of a tradition or something.

Last year there was a really good one for us here in CMH.  It blew up an otherwise benign light event into over a foot.  It was an 00z run, probably about 60 hours out.  Took about 2 runs later before it came down and crashed to reality. 

Being nam'd is like having the hottest girl at the party give you a surprise kiss and walk away.  You know it ain't gonna lead to anything but it still makes your night.

• Haha 3