Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm!? Jan 12-13th, 2019

cyclone77

1 minute ago, Jackstraw said:

No you've ruined me.  My method had me just over 10, double digits for this one.  Now I'm probably at 8 or 9.  I'm tying the noose lookin for my kick chair.:P

That brings up an obvious point... that the amount of settling/compaction varies by storm.  In some, the difference between measuring every hour, every 3 hours or every 6 hours may be trivial, but I'm just providing the official standard. 

I'm not a trained spotter (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night) so if somebody wants to add or correct something, go ahead.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That brings up an obvious point... that the amount of settling/compaction varies by storm.  In some, the difference between measuring every hour, every 3 hours or every 6 hours may be trivial, but I'm just providing the official standard. 

I'm not a trained spotter (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night) so if somebody wants to add or correct something, go ahead.

what a world....walk out your back door and stick a ruler in it. not complicated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah think the NWS came up with the 6hr board clearing to standardize the method so everyone does it the same way.  Most of the time not clearing after 6hrs isn't going to impact too much unless there's some melting, or if the snow is getting really deep.  In most cases unless the snow starts exceeding 5 or 6 inches the compaction isn't enough to really worry about.  However, clearing too often def has an inflating impact on totals lol.

Another nice storm in the QC: 

Moline: 7.0"

DVN: 6.4" 

Even a healthy 2.0" in Dubuque. I was hoping to cash in that amount here in DVN just the other day.

As a southerner, I love these bigger snowfalls this Winter and last, but I always regret them when having to clear the car and driveway before work at 2am each morning! Ha 

Well at least it's not too frigid! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

No, you were spot on. You measure and clear every 6 hours. Youre welcome to measure every 30 minutes, 40 minutes, hour, whatever you want to check on rates, you just don't clear it. If you clear less than every 6 hours you will be inflating your total and if you clear more than 6 hours you will be lowballing it. Of course this is if it is snowing, obviously as soon as a snowfall stops is the best time to measure it. In all of these rules apply when there's not a lot of wind, obviously when it's a windy storm snowboards maybe useless and you will need to just take a ton of measurements to get an average.

The storm really hurt lol, I think mainly because of the start we've had to this Winter. Most of the areas that got hit with this storm are areas that were definitely due based on recent years. The SE MI snowmagnet could not pull in a single flake with this one. Snow literally hit a wall, as expected.

• Like 1

As a few of you said here, every 6 hours-12z, 18z, 00z, and 06z (I usually don't get the last one). Also measure between those times if the snows ends to catch the total before compaction/melting begins. I use long boards and clear half of them after measuring and leave half for total snow depth. With drifting snow, as Josh said, just take a ton of random measurements and average them.

BTW, final total 5.1" here.

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

No, you were spot on. You measure and clear every 6 hours. Youre welcome to measure every 30 minutes, 40 minutes, hour, whatever you want to check on rates, you just don't clear it. If you clear less than every 6 hours you will be inflating your total and if you clear more than 6 hours you will be lowballing it. Of course this is if it is snowing, obviously as soon as a snowfall stops is the best time to measure it. In all of these rules apply when there's not a lot of wind, obviously when it's a windy storm snowboards maybe useless and you will need to just take a ton of measurements to get an average.

The storm really hurt lol, I think mainly because of the start we've had to this Winter. Most of the areas that got hit with this storm are areas that were definitely due based on recent years. The SE MI snowmagnet could not pull in a single flake with this one. Snow literally hit a wall, as expected.

SE MI, the land of the dying MCS

• Sad 1

not bad

0600 AM     HEAVY SNOW       PEORIA                  40.74N 89.61W   
01/13/2019  M11.1 INCH       PEORIA             IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS  

OFFICIAL NWS STORM TOTAL OBSERVATION - INCLUDING 0.1   
            INCHES FRIDAY EVENING - 10.7 INCHES SATURDAY AND 0.3   
            INCHES SINCE MIDNIGHT THIS MORNING  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ams30721us said:

Another nice storm in the QC: 

Moline: 7.0"

DVN: 6.4" 

Even a healthy 2.0" in Dubuque. I was hoping to cash in that amount here in DVN just the other day.

As a southerner, I love these bigger snowfalls this Winter and last, but I always regret them when having to clear the car and driveway before work at 2am each morning! Ha 

Well at least it's not too frigid! 

Jeez if you would have told me the QC would have ended up with a bigger snowfall than me based on the trends, I would have said your crazy. We unfortunately got dry slotted for quite sometime yesterday which really cut into the totals. Jacksonville really cashed in on this storm with a whopping 14”. 

Not complaining though. Still ended up with 6” on the head and it is picture esque outside. Models are hinting at another winter storm next weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConvectiveIA said:

SE MI, the land of the dying MCS

I don't really care when it comes to thunderstorms lol. Snow I do though. Like I said no one's going to get every storm, I think it's just the start to this Winter that has anyone who did not get the storm on edge. Remember, Southern New England was supposed to have their most historic winter on record and they have barely seen a snowflake. 

I don't have a reliable place on my property to measure and where I normally measure, the neighbor's new dog had fun in the snow making any measurement impossible.  Looking around at reports for my area, it seems 5-7" are pretty common.  I did see a 7.8" report at NWS but suspect other influences or slant sticking.  I have respectfully put my profile pic right side since the distress of not seeing a 6" storm has ended.  Now let's keep this going.  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I don't really care when it comes to thunderstorms lol. Snow I do though. Like I said no one's going to get every storm, I think it's just the start to this Winter that has anyone who did not get the storm on edge. Remember, Southern New England was supposed to have their most historic winter on record and they have barely seen a snowflake. 

Wow I actually graduated high school in Rhode Island and my sister lives in Connecticut and she is complaining they haven’t seen any snow! The land of the dying mcs comment was because a year or two ago one of the posters here had that as their catchphrase or signature on all their posts! I’m happy we are in a new pattern now and look forward to storm watchin with everyone the next few weeks!

ps I consider Iowa the land of the dying supercell 

• Like 2