Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm!? Jan 12-13th, 2019

cyclone77

6 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

This is probably one of my top 3 favorite storms ever. The fact that it hasnt been that cold has also made it more enjoyable.

Within 1 year you went from "winter around here sucks compared to down south" to one of your top 3 snows ever.  Told ya the weather around here will put you in the funny farm lol. ;)

• Like 2

I had a board out to measure snow. Last measurement on that was 9" but my mom decided it was cool to brush it off while we were shoveling and snow blowing. Thanks mom. But it has been snowing nonstop. Still periods of moderate snow. So I'm thinking I will be over 10in. Will check later. Here's a pic of the driveway after one snowblower pass

rps20190112_211123.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I had a board out to measure snow. Last measurement on that was 9" but my mom decided it was cool to brush it off while shoveling and snow blowing. Thanks mom. But it has been snowing nonstop. Still periods of moderate snow. So I'm thinking I will be over 10in. Will check later. Here's a pic of the driveway after one snowblower pass

rps20190112_211123.jpg

You still got the driveway, that's a big board lol.  I think technically you're supposed to measure every hour sweeping the board clean after you measure then add the totals.  Could be wrong.  I was lazy today and did mine every 3 hours roughly.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jackstraw said:

You still got the driveway, that's a big board lol.  I think technically you're supposed to measure every hour sweeping the board clean after you measure then add the totals.  Could be wrong.  I was lazy today and did mine every 3 hours roughly.

Yea I wasn't sure on the proper snow board protocol. Lol. I was checking every few hours. I may just check in morning to see final total. Got one more nice band moving through. This storm was a nice surprise for many. Kept creeping north and increasing totals. I got my eye on next weekend to. That would be great to get back to back significant winter storms

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Yea I wasn't sure on the proper snow board protocol. Lol. I was checking every few hours. I may just check in morning to see final total. Got one more nice band moving through. This storm was a nice surprise for many. Kept creeping north and increasing totals. I got my eye on next weekend to. That would be great to get back to back significant winter storms

I'm enjoying this and trying not to pay attention to my 3 days of rain/snow mix P&C forecast next week lol.  Think we've lost forcing north of I70, hopefully southern In. can pull a last minute coup.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

You're going to end up with an artificially inflated total if you measure too often because it won't allow for settling/compaction.  You can measure every hour or whatever to see what kind of rates there are, but don't add those numbers together.  Generally speaking you want to do 6 hour measurements, though there are some exceptions... like if the snow ends right after your last measurement, you don't want to let it sit there for several hours before measuring.  

• Thanks 1

Just shy of 6" here as of a bit ago.  I usually don't clear my areas until it's done snowing.   Most of the time it's because I'm not home to do it every 6hrs, but like with todays case I just left it.  Unless there's massive compaction/melting going on I like to go with what actually accumulates depth wise.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

You're going to end up with an artificially inflated total if you measure too often because it won't allow for settling/compaction.  You can measure every hour or whatever to see what kind of rates there are, but don't add those numbers together.  Generally speaking you want to do 6 hour measurements, though there are some exceptions... like if the snow ends right after your last measurement, you don't want to let it sit there for several hours before measuring.  

Ok I get it.  So if you get blasted with 10 inches in 6 hours but it compacts to 8 inches the official result is the 8 inches.  Wasn't sure.  Now I have to have 3 boards in the yard, hourly rate, 3 hour rate and total, and storm total. Thought you were going to make my life easy for a minute lol.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I'm enjoying this and trying not to pay attention to my 3 days of rain/snow mix P&C forecast next week lol.  Think we've lost forcing north of I70, hopefully southern In. can pull a last minute coup.

Yea the system is in the process of transferring to the coast. Passing on its energy. Precip losing its moxy now. I'm not getting my hopes up for next week because gfs did awful with this and it is the one slamming my area again. Euro has it suppressed way south. But I'm ecstatic with this storm. So can't complain 

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Thanks for that. Never was sure on how to properly do that. My first time using a board. Typically I look for something elevated that can't be influenced by ground warming. Like a grill. Or bird feeder. Or a plantar. Lots of reports of 9-10in in my area so sounds like my measurements should be close

3 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Ok I get it.  So if you get blasted with 10 inches in 6 hours but it compacts to 8 inches the official result is the 8 inches.  Wasn't sure.  Now I have to have 3 boards in the yard, hourly rate, 3 hour rate and total, and storm total. Thought you were going to make my life easy for a minute lol.

Don't make it harder than it has to be lol.  You can use one board, just don't wipe it clean more than once every 6 hours.  

I finished with 4.8" from 0.46" liquid.  Considering I was expecting 2" early yesterday, I'm quite happy.  I still want to see some heavy snow rates, but this was a nice light to moderate daytime snowfall.

When the wind is light enough to use my snow boards, I like to clear one or two of my boards in the 8-12 hour range, depending on how long the snow is expected to last.  I don't clear every 6 hours, even though that is acceptable, because it feels like I'm cheating.

For this storm, my uncleared main snow board finished with 4.5" while the boards that were cleared halfway (~8 hours) finished with a combined total of 4.8".

• Like 4

Just now, Hoosier said:

Don't make it harder than it has to be lol.  You can use one board, just don't wipe it clean more than once every 6 hours.  

No you've ruined me.  My method had me just over 10, double digits for this one.  Now I'm probably at 8 or 9.  I'm tying the noose lookin for my kick chair.:P

• Haha 2