Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm!? Jan 12-13th, 2019

cyclone77

1 minute ago, Indystorm said:

I-70 closed from Greenfield west to Mt. Comfort just east of Indpls due to fatal crash and I-65 closed north of LAF.  Significant snowstorm for many of us in the sub to share both the wealth and the concerns.

That’s really sad I hate it when that happens if people would just slow down when it’s snowing or icy

Reports of over a foot across parts of southern Iowa, which is double what was expected by the NWS. I had 3.4" at 2:15 so making it to 4" should be easy. I for one thought the dry air would win out at least early on as it seems dry air is often undermodeled and not overmodeled like it was this time around. 

• Like 2

I'm at 6.5-7 right now.  It's been rip city for the last 90 minutes.  Took another ride and country roads are getting trashed visibility is 1/4 to 1/2 mile.  Wind was picking up some also. I've got a board in the yard and utility marker flags around the yard where they're replacing gas and water lines.  I marked some of the flags at 6,7, and 8 inches all but one of them are at or close to the 7 inch mark with 6.5 recorded on my board. I know its not the most accurate measuring scheme but its in the ballpark. It hasn't stopped snowing since 7am so averaging a painstakingly 1/2 in/hr rate or so.  Perfect  snowball snow, packs well but not so dense it'll give you a concussion lol.  Not sure what the rest of this event has in store but any accumulations beyond now will exceed my expectations.  Great event for most of the sub from a spread the wealth point.

• Like 1

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL  
310 PM CST SAT JAN 12 2019  

SYNOPSIS  

ISSUED AT 242 PM CST SAT JAN 12 2019  

AS OF 230 PM: A RAGGED COMMA HEAD STRUCTURE WAS APPARENT ON GOES   
IR IMAGERY THIS AFTERNOON OVER IOWA, MISSOURI, AND ILLINOIS.   
ALTHOUGH THE ASSOCIATED MID-LEVEL CIRCULATION ISN'T THAT STRONG,   
ITS SLOW MOVEMENT, COUPLED WITH A SUFFICIENTLY MOIST ATMOSPHERE,   
HAS LED TO BANDS OF MODERATE AND BRIEFLY HEAVY SNOW. SOUTH OF   
I-80, NARROW BANDS OF FGEN OR CONVECTIVE INSTABILITY ARE SHOWING   
UP AS COOLING IR CLOUD TOPS THAT HAVE BEEN DRIFTING NORTHWARD WITH  
TIME. WIDESPREAD LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THIS EVENING  
WITH BANDS OF MODERATE SNOW LIKELY IN THE SE FORECAST AREA. 

Was pounding earlier today but for the past couple of hours the snow has been lighter and dustier. I've been watching the dry spot in eastern Illinois for a while now but the gaps in returns seem to fill in before they get here; it has never stopped snowing today. Flake size has increased again in the past 15 minutes and the intensity has picked up somewhat. I can't measure so I don't have exact amounts, but some spotters in the area reported about ~5" at 12:30 (which seemed overdone to me when I walked around). Probably have added an inch or so since then during the lighter snow.

6 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Often times i am not a huge fan of the long duration/low intensity type storms. But all day snows, on a Saturday, with football on tv? Can’t beat that. 

This.  Plenty of times during storms with ten hours of 0.5"/hr snow I've thought, "Yeah, this is nice, but give me some heavy snow."  However, this is the first real snow I've actually seen fall this winter so I'm loving it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hawkeye_wx said:

This.  Plenty of times during storms with ten hours of 0.5"/hr snow I've thought, "Yeah, this is nice, but give me some heavy snow."  However, this is the first real snow I've actually seen fall this winter so I'm loving it.

It's a good storm for sure. Especially after how pathetic it was for a month and a half before. Thing that I love is this looks to be the beginning of a great stretch of winter 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

snowing good here again in west Indy. Nice to see a winter storm where dry pockets fill in when many times you know its over in other storms. Interesting to see how much more we can get out of this as theres still a lot of moisture returns in Ill filling in. At about 6-6.5 inches here

I still think there's a chance of double digits somewhere between I70 and SR28 in Central In.

10 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I still think there's a chance of double digits somewhere between I70 and SR28 in Central In.

I dont know about that. But with this storm playing out better than expected it could happen. It's now snowing hard here with big flakes again. I'd say some spots in Indiana get to 8 to 10 inches.Looking at national radar theres a good plume of moisture still coming from the gulf. Models didn't have it lasting that long