Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm!? Jan 12-13th, 2019

cyclone77

7 minutes ago, AppsRunner said:

FWIW... 00z ARW/NMM are both significantly south of their 12z runs. Almost completely dry for I-80 north

Not sure how reliable those models are with winter storms. Don't hear them being used much for winter weather, at least I haven't. I still feel up till I80 will see a respectable snow

8 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

If this storm would have came in about 12hrs later the Chiefs game Sunday afternoon would have been one to remember.  The snow will have just left the area by the time the game starts around 3pm IIRC.

Take it to the banter thread.  Don't clog this thread up unless you have something substantial to add and can back it up....  Sorry, I'm a bit intoxicated at the thought of mud finally being replaced with virgin white snow, caused a DT outbreak lol.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Not sure how reliable those models are with winter storms. Don't hear them being used much for winter weather, at least I haven't. I still feel up till I80 will see a respectable snow

Don't quote me but think they're part of the SREF nest which just took me down to 1 inch.  

6 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Take it to the banter thread.  Don't clog this thread up unless you have something substantial to add and can back it up....  Sorry, I'm a bit intoxicated at the thought of mud finally being replaced with virgin white snow, caused a DT outbreak lol.  

Don't think that was really banter man. Lol. Just think he was saying that would have been something cool to see

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

:lol:

New Euro brings warning criteria snows up to Peoria and over towards the LAF area.  Also a nice 6-8" snow for the Indy area.  Close to 0.5" for Columbus OH as well, and as some have pointed out sometimes models weaken these systems a bit too quickly so a warning criteria snow for them is possible.  

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like around 0.25" at CR.  Pretty steep gradient in the area though, with about 0.11" in far north Linn Co, and 0.33" in far south Linn Co.

But of course. Linn County always seems to be gradient city. Weather.us loaded and shows a modest tick north out in IA. CR gets ~0.30 on their map at CID. The trend with the Euro has been to get the higher QPF farther into IA, but also sharpen the gradient at the same time.

1 hour ago, StormChaser4Life said:

What is its track record like with past winter storms? 

1 hour ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

It sniffed out higher totals in that November storm before other models started catching on, but placement was off. 

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

It bombed with the Nov 25th storm.  Was adamant about heavy snows much further northwest than all other guidance until at the last minute.  Other than that I'm not sure how well it's done.

Yeah it was straight garbage until snow was falling. Was consistent in being 75-100 miles NW with the snowfall axis. Bit on the far NW solution and went down with that ship.

It ended up being fairly close with respect to totals within the heaviest axis, but was laughably bad with placement. 

Another swing and a miss for downtown Chicago and points just south. We’re in the sweet spot of the sub forum this year that gets missed to our north and missed to our south with the two biggest events of the season.

If we can muster 2” with this system (which is looking unlikely), we would tie our season high. Perhaps the one behind this late next weekend can bring us some love.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Funny how there is a warning to the north and south of me and i am in an advisory. Do offices not coordinate with each other ?

You are under NWS Wilmington I believe. I'm right there with you on the boarder darke county. In 4-6 range with WWA of 3-5. I look for an upgrade later.

Just now, CoachLB said:

You are under NWS Wilmington I believe. I'm right there with you on the boarder darke county. In 4-6 range with WWA of 3-5. I look for an upgrade later.

Yes Wilmington covers my area. Indy covers the counties west and north of me and they are all under warnings. I guess Wilmington is not as confident as Indy is.

54 minutes ago, eureka22 said:

WSW criteria are 6 inches in 12 hours OR 8 inches in 24 hours.  My point and click shows the main activity (6.2") over an 18 hour period with the highest 12 hour total 3.8".  It doesn't meet either requirement.  A random click in Peoria shows a similar result.

Yea but areas south really aren't going to see a different timing then us. Esp by I72. Hence my confusion 

06z HRRR stalls the northern fringe pretty close to here and Cedar Rapids, and drops <0.1" of precip at both locations.  Going to be a nail biter here lol.  It's an outlier, as most other models show 0.2-0.3" for both areas.  Gonna keep riding my 1-2" call for here, and go with 2-3" for the QC.

• Like 2