Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm!? Jan 12-13th, 2019

cyclone77

1 minute ago, zinski1990 said:

yep us here in central Indiana know more than most on this forum about getting the shaft. GHD 2011 even over an inch of ice was forecasted here we got mostly sleet too

Speaking of ice.  I'm still trying to figure out why KIND is forecasting freezing rain as a possibility up here.  I haven't seen a model warm the column up this way.    Might be above my head why but not sure why we are getting freezing rain mixed when points south aren't.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I feel like some of you are being too conservative.  I get it though.

Agreed. At least for the spots that aren't sweating a northern gradient, it seems like most everyone is fairly conservative at the moment. Seems like a widespread 3-6" for IN and most of OH. Central/Southern IL and most of MO are almost guaranteed warning criteria snows. STL the real winners, which you don't get to say often. 

1 minute ago, Jackstraw said:

Speaking of ice.  I'm still trying to figure out why KIND is forecasting freezing rain as a possibility up here.  I haven't seen a model warm the column up this way.    Might be above my head why but not sure why we are getting freezing rain mixed when points south aren't.

It could be maybe the heavy  freezing drizzle possibility? I know in Iowa NORTH of the snow shield they’re forecasting freezing drizzle. If that gets heavy enough?

I'm not sure if I've ever seen models this aggressive with QPF in St. Louis. I have my doubts that we'll see 10:1 ratios, but who knows. I will say that during the March 2013 storm the temperature remained above freezing during a huge part of the that event and that was after the daily high reached 41F and the day before was 58F and the airport still recorded 12.5" with 1.25" liquid.

7 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

I'm not sure if I've ever seen models this aggressive with QPF in St. Louis. I have my doubts that we'll see 10:1 ratios, but who knows. I will say that during the March 2013 storm the temperature remained above freezing during a huge part of the that event and that was after the daily high reached 41F and the day before was 58F and the airport still recorded 12.5" with 1.25" liquid.

Certainly looking potent for you guys. Nearly every model has double digits. LSR's may be low but so much moisture and long duration 

23 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The models are settling on ~0.20" for Cedar Rapids.  The dry air is really going to push back against the moisture around here.  The GFS has really sharpened the north edge, which should barely get north of CR.  If the dry air is more robust than expected, CR could easily drop down to <1".

It almost always is more robust than expected. I'm expecting <1" at my location on the far north side.

28 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The models are settling on ~0.20" for Cedar Rapids.  The dry air is really going to push back against the moisture around here.  The GFS has really sharpened the north edge, which should barely get north of CR.  If the dry air is more robust than expected, CR could easily drop down to <1".

Gonna have to keep an eye on that.  00z HRRR seems a bit south with the northern fringe compared to some other guidance.  These northern fringes always trend sharper as we get closer, so wouldn't be surprised to see some pretty big gradients on tomorrow's runs.  Really wouldn't be surprised if Waterloo/Dubuque go flakeless while the I-80 corridor cashes in with 4"+.

EDIT:  Another thing to watch will be if an enhanced band can set up on the extreme north fringe as the dry air tries to fight the northward movement.  Sometimes you can get some overperforming with that.

• Like 1

Looks like there have been about 12 storms that have dropped at least 12" in St. Louis.  This may not quite be correct -- I simply searched by highest totals within a few day period and didn't check to see if there were any instances of separate storms adding up to 12+, e.g. 7.8" on 1/20 and 5.3" on 1/22.