Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm!? Jan 12-13th, 2019

cyclone77

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

3-4" seems like a decent bet around here at this time.  If that happens, it would be the biggest snow so far this season. 

Something around 1-3/2-4 seems most reasonably out here too. We could double our snowfall for the season if the higher end of that range pans out. 

9 minutes ago, ConvectiveIA said:

Yeah with that new Euro I have a feeling other models will tick south. I’m going to go for 1-2 inches in my area. Could be more but I’m being conservative now

Seems like this has happened at least a few times this season now... most notably with the late November storm for S/E IA. If we see any hints of a southern trend on the 18z/00z I'd start shifting my bets heavily to the Euro's side, but given the close agreement on basically every other model I'm not sure I'd buy in just yet. 

7 minutes ago, AppsRunner said:

Something around 1-3/2-4 seems most reasonably out here too. We could double our snowfall for the season if the higher end of that range pans out. 

Seems like this has happened at least a few times this season now... most notably with the late November storm for S/E IA. If we see any hints of a southern trend on the 18z/00z I'd start shifting my bets heavily to the Euro's side, but given the close agreement on basically every other model I'm not sure I'd buy in just yet. 

Though one would hope November was long enough ago that this storm wouldn’t be forced by the same setup. Still though it makes me very nervous 

34 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Not really sure models ticked south with the upper level or surface features. More like the higher accumulations weren't as north. Likely due to the very dry air mass eating away at the northern precip shield 

18z NAM? It was definitely further south at the surface and 500mb.

This storm looks structurally different and larger and less intense than the late November storm but with that I-80 cutoff looking similar to it, how does this storm compare to the late November storm?

With that storm the models headed south further out (2 days) than this one, but it really does look very similar for my neck of the woods. I’ve only had 1 inch of snow IMBY all season so far, and the November storm only gave us a dusting while 30 miles south got a foot!

The 18z GFS is coming in not so much looking further south but a little bit of a tighter cutoff on the north side for IA. I’m thinking we still look better for this than the NOV storm

1 minute ago, ConvectiveIA said:

This storm looks structurally different and larger and less intense than the late November storm but with that I-80 cutoff looking similar to it, how does this storm compare to the late November storm?

With that storm the models headed south further out (2 days) than this one, but it really does look very similar for my neck of the woods. I’ve only had 1 inch of snow IMBY all season so far, and the November storm only gave us a dusting while 30 miles south got a foot!

That was a whole different animal. That was a strong mid latitude cyclone with a classic trowal. This is more of an upper level low with the surface reflection much further south. An inverted trough extending from the low is allowing the snow to fall a lot more north of surface low

1 hour ago, ConvectiveIA said:

In the battle between how much it has snowed on the Missouri Iowa border this season which is south of us, they’ve gotten twenty times as much snow as we have up in Des Moines so far this year and it puts climo to shame 

The hi res guidance trends won’t help with this statistic