Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm!? Jan 12-13th, 2019

cyclone77

On 1/8/2019 at 11:13 PM, buckeye said:

Have to disagree.  Overall a slight step in the wrong direction with stronger hp and flatter look.   Ggem same trend.  

He is right, if you compare the vorticity maps at 84 hours with previous runs, the vort max is slower a bit out in the plains and the bigger part is the vort max across Quebec is further northeast.

At the surface the high is also trending slower and further north as well.

19 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Have to disagree.  Overall a slight step in the wrong direction with stronger hp and flatter look.   Ggem same trend.  

Well it gives me more snow so I'm happy. Lol. Guess we need to root for nam. But yes I see what you mean. It is pretty flat. Nam has that southern vort really wrap up

Euro definitely ticked stronger, further north as well. It does eat away with the snow on the far northern edge as the snow shield gets toward this area. That will be an issue on the northern fringe of this storm, would be nice to see a few more ticks north in that regard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

6zGfs continues to slip away....

Meanwhile the euro trends better.

Hopefully today we get some concensus  :rolleyes:  but usually decent storms come together on the major models when you're inside 4 days...so this late game divergence doesn't bode well for a significant storm.... jmho

I see FV3 is loading again although its still on 0z but it's amped up too along with NAM/Euro.

fv3p_asnow_eus_21.png

FV3 runs at the same time as the GFS. There may be a distribution problem delaying products for 3rd parties.

You can get limited FV3 products directly from the NOAA site. They are available at the same time as the old GFS products. They do provide the FV3 snow depth product.

http://mageval.ncep.noaa.gov for parallel run

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/ for operational run

6 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

12z FV3 just starting to roll now.

12 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

That's what I've been thinking too, but iirc someone already referenced the 12z FV3 as being the opposite of the normal GFS. Oh well :)

There are ways to access it soon after the the OP run, but it doesn't load on TT until several hours later.