Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

In their morning discussion OKX doesn't seem to be too concerned with the icing potential later today and this evening. It seems to me that with the whole area being a solid block of ice and the streets, sidewalks and everything else being frozen several inches down any liquid that falls has the potential to freeze especially with ALL of the drainages and storm drains filled with ice and ice banks right up to the edge of the traffic lanes keeping whatever falls in the traffic lanes. I foresee a difficult time ahead.

The layer of ice on the snow is pretty thick and will be carrying this 1-2" of rain with tonights  event to low lying areas without draining into the ground. I went out and punched some holes in the ice in the yard to have some of the rain being absorbed into the snow under the ice. Also chopped some ice off the roofline to have the rain stay in the gutters instead of running over.

Then back to below freezing Thursday night. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ForestHillWx said:

There's ice on the edges of the Delaware south of Trenton. Saw it this morning on my drive south. 

Btw...toaster bathes are in demand in the main forum. I've seen it bad before, but this year is nuts. 

The way I see it is if the lack of snowfall is causing one that much angst then their life much be pretty charmed. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

The way I see it is if the lack of snowfall is causing one that much angst then their life much be pretty charmed. 

I agree, though I will say there are definitely times when you are genuinely having a rough go of it and facing real problems in real life, and it ends up being some silly, inconsequential thing that pushes you over the edge. I'm sure most people are merely being overly dramatic, you just never know.

Besides, I fail to see the issue. Everyone I regularly converse with here has full snowcover. :sled:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

check the zipper on your trousers! I kid, I skied a run yesterday after taking a tinkle in the woods and neglected to zip up my ski pants.  it was quite chilly.
That's probably not the ideal frostbite case the ER would like to have to manage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I agree, though I will say there are definitely times when you are genuinely having a rough go of it and facing real problems in real life, and it ends up being some silly, inconsequential thing that pushes you over the edge. I'm sure most people are merely being overly dramatic, you just never know.

Besides, I fail to see the issue. Everyone I regularly converse with here has full snowcover. :sled:

That’s a good point about something silly that could trigger someone. For myself, I know that I did not get full enjoyment of some winter weather in years past because of personal bullshit I had to deal with at the time. Those days, and that tramp are long gone LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

That’s a good point about something silly that could trigger someone. For myself, I know that I did not get full enjoyment of some winter weather in years past because of personal bullshit I had to deal with at the time. Those days, and that tramp are long gone LOL. 

image.gif

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Interesting. I had the wind shift and temp spike before 3 am.

18 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I had mine around 4 am. Currently 55/53.

Yeah, after I posted that I looked at some other obs, I guess it finally mixed down here at that time. I’ve had inversions like that before. 

25 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I see that KSWF broke into the 50s in the 4am hour while KMGJ didn’t break into the 50s until the 7am hour, not the first time I’ve seen that. 

Must be the southern winds blowing up the Hudson River canyon. The mountains by the West Point/Highland Mills areas put up a blocker for your area to the west.

Just now, Juliancolton said:

I love microclimate stuff like this.

KPOU has already touched 59F between hours. The daily record of 63 appears to be safe, as the front is not far off now. As far as cutter torches go, this one is really short-lived... though it was more than enough to erase the pack in my 'hood.

It reached into the low 60s in the Poconos and down here on Long Island I hear pingers which can only be small hail lol.  

watch out.....

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service New York NY
958 AM EST Thu Jan 24 2019

NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-176>179-242100-
Western Passaic-Eastern Passaic-Hudson-Western Bergen-
Eastern Bergen-Western Essex-Eastern Essex-Western Union-
Eastern Union-Orange-Putnam-Rockland-Northern Westchester-
Southern Westchester-New York (Manhattan)-Bronx-
Richmond (Staten Island)-Kings (Brooklyn)-Northern Queens-
Northern Nassau-Southern Queens-Southern Nassau-
958 AM EST Thu Jan 24 2019

...A LINE OF HEAVY RAIN WITH POTENTIALLY STRONG TO DAMAGING
WINDS THIS AFTERNOON...

A line of heavy rain with possible thunderstorms will move in this
afternoon between 12PM and 3PM. Widespread wind gusts of 50 to 60
mph are possible with this line. This could bring down tree limbs,
trees, and power lines.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Boy it's wet out there. I'm thinking I need to go downstairs and make sure there's nothing on the floor that will get damaged by water. If this glacier melts off today, which is starting to appear likely, the basement is sure to get wet.

Yeah, we have a decent amount in the basement.  Just way, way too much rain, and that glacier snowpack did not help anything either.

So the best this winter can give is 4 days of a beautiful winter landscape? Wiped away by a raging rainstorm and temps in the 50's in one day. A frozen snow pack with a LE of 1.5 inches should not be wiped away in the course of 12 hours. That is not suppose to happen in January. Just when you think this winter can't get any worse it tops itself.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I really didn't expect that glacier to disappear so quickly. I watched it happen and I still can't quite believe it. I'm so glad my basement stayed dry, I guess the ground stayed frozen enough. I'm afraid that when it does thaw things are going to get messy though. At least it's back below freezing now.

At least IMBY, once you punched through the top 1/2" of crust, the snow underneath was rather powdery still. It would have been nice to keep it around as a base for the next one though